the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Err yeah, but why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Err yeah, but why?
    Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 10:22am
Hi all,

whilst acknowledging the untold skill that the photographer has demonstrated in capturing these images, the question I have is what has been gained?

I mean ok, we all know some Snakes eat frogs. We know that some frogs eat snakes. But what impression has been left by these... Well, I tell you shall I... that yet again the snake is protrayed as villain.

R

RobV
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 6:51pm
hmm…do you think it's a studio shot as well?
gingerdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 3:23pm
A liberal sprinkling of moss to give it that natural look,not!!
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 1:36pm
I have always had a cynical view point when it comes to some so called filmed nature shots ,most of us who have been in this game for some time know that lots are stage manage like super glueing male/ fem adders together so it looks like some ritual dance whilst their try to get free (joking of course} but a lot of premeditated set ups are used in some of these films. like the fishing progs with about a dozen staff armed with rods ready to hand over their hooked fish to the star of some exstreme fishing & river monster series    keith

Edited by AGILIS - 14 Jan 2014 at 7:11am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Tom Omlette Tom Omlette wrote:

hmm…do you think it's a studio shot as well?

Well if you look at this crop of the reflection in the snake's eye it certainly doesn't look like it was shot outside.

Jason

http://imageshack.com/a/img833/3317/iqzd.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/n5iqzdj

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 9:48pm
well spotted jason Wink
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 7:10am
funny thing I was looking at some of my shots the other day and sure I could see my self with a camera in the eyes,of a La,👓 keith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 7:57am
if you look at the reflection in the eye in the photo posted i think you can see a lighting umbrella too!

tom
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 11:18am
The sad thing is some people will do anything to be famous just by making a TV series about nature makes them world experts in the the eyes of the masses . most of us go unnoticed or our are opinions not even listened to unless you are a media star wrestling crocs or swimming with sharks.Think I will take some serious thoughts about filming my illicit adventures into the darkest heaths of Surrey this year keith
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:31pm
You're right Keith. And the same can be said for writers of books. There are so many books out there full of incorrect information. But because someone has written a book they are then regarded as "experts" on the subject.

But if you're going to film your heathland adventures you'll have to find a way to make it exciting for the viewer. Maybe you could have an army of deadly "poisonous" spiders invading the country and attacking people at random . . . hang on, we had that reported last year with the Steatoda nobilis (Flase widow spiders). How about a giant swarm of "poisonous" flesh-eating ladybirds . . . oh, we had that last year too with the Harmonia axyridis (Harlequin ladybirds)! You'll have to come up with a new concept. Try and find a species that hasn't yet featured in a defamatory article by the media.

Jason

Edited by JaySteel - 14 Jan 2014 at 3:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic