the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Easter newt hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easter newt hunt
    Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:00pm
While I am glad to see an appeal go out to pond owners for a spring newt count, am I wrong in feeling a bit cautious of this.Imagine the scenario, I am a pond owner approaching the water with a torch at night, I shine the torch into the pond and start to count. Palmate, Palmate, Smooth and OOOH look a Great crested newt.
I do not have a licence relating to GCN so to carry on with the search when I am aware of GCNs is a criminal offence.
The count was finished prematurely so the records do not count and I can never shine a torch into the pond again.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:28pm
I don't understand this. It isn't an offence to LOOK AT a Great Crested Newt, or count the ones you can see, is it? Are you saying that merely shining a torch at them counts as disturbing their habitat?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:51am
It is the animal that is protected from disturbance, the habitat is protected from destruction. Shining a torch into a pond of breeding GCN - is disturbance. 

This one comes up again and again. There is no case law. The WCA is pretty clear though that intentionally 'disturbing' a Great Crested Newt is an offence.

It would be up to a magistrate to decide if shining a torch at breeding newts was an offence.

They might decide it was.

The clincher is really that one could hold a licence for 'torch' survey only, that rather makes the situation clear that it is a licensed activity. If I was called in as an expert witness I would certainly take the line that shining torches at GCN is disturbance. Plain and simple, eer because it disturbs them.

Edited by GemmaJF - 03 May 2011 at 1:01am
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:03am
Thanks. That's interesting. Your knowledge is certainly greater than mine, but I venture to express some misgivings about this. How can the general public be expected to value, and want to preserve, an animal they aren't even allowed to look at? This law - if your interpretation of it is right, and I've no reason to think it isn't - is probably unenforceable in broad practice, but even if it were enforceable, it seems to me undesirable in terms of the long term protection of these animals, if it sequestrates them from the human gaze. They have to mean something to us, if we are to want to protect them. These pages are full of beautiful photographs of animals full of meaning for the people who photograph them. If people have no access to the animals, the meaning will die.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:37am
I totally agree with you Richard, I wasn't responsible for the WCA I just know what it states - and to that end became licensed to torch survey, net, bottle trap, take and disturb GCN. 

It doesn't say in the WCA you can't watch GCN in a gin clear pond on a summers day. It simply states you cannot deliberately 'disturb' them. 

My stance is that torch survey is deliberate disturbance, hence why I hold a licence to do it which makes an otherwise illegal activity legal.

Some will argue torching isn't disturbance, NE obviously think it is, else they wouldn't issue licences that specifically state this activity on the licence. 

If such a case ended up in court I'm sure the fact that NE regard torching as a licensable activity would not escape the magistrate involved.

Therefore for a non-licence holder to torch survey a pond with known GCN presence, or continue to torch survey a pond whilst aware that GCN are present, is an offence under the WCA and they could find themselves liable to prosecution.

Big fine, 6 months imprisonment max penalty.

Not my fault, just the way it is. For some reason we licence holders seem to be made to feel guilty about it all. Not our fault, we didn't write the law, we just endeavor to stay on the right side of it.

Edited by GemmaJF - 03 May 2011 at 1:41am
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:23am
I would like to put my self forward as South East Englands newt warden and would accept a £100grand a year salary plus expenses , to capture these wicked illegal newt watchers keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Dave1812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave1812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:36am
I will do the North West!
David Hind

D&G ARG
ARC - Natterjack Toad Monitor
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Some will argue torching isn't disturbance, NE obviously think it is, else they wouldn't issue licences that specifically state this activity on the licence.

Considering that it's possible to watch GCN feeding, mating & egg-laying by torchlight, it's certainly pretty low-level disturbance.

As I remember, it was only in the late 90s that torching licences were first issued- there seemed to be an assumption before then that it wasn't covered by the WCA.

It's not 'disturbance' that's covered by the WCA, it's disturbance while 'occupying a structure or place' used for 'shelter or protection'. I've always wondered whether 'structure or place' would apply to a whole pond. It would be interesting to see what happened if anyone was prosecuted for torching, but it seems incredibly unlikely...
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:27am
This is disconcerting. My assumption has been that 'disturb' means some sort of physical contact with the animal, or tangible intrusion into its immediate space such as to disrupt its natural behaviour in a non-trivial way. We need this distinction between trivial and non-trivial disturbance, in my opinion. The draconian interpretation of the law that you propose - and, though it has never been tested, I have no reason to think you are wrong - would also, presumably, apply to activities that are the basis of this list-community. In order to watch snakes and lizards and photograph them, one has to walk on their habitat, linger at the spots where they have been seen, and lean close to them; this generally has the effect of startling them and making them dart for cover. It seems to me that there is much more evidence for regarding this as disturbance than there is for the disturbing-effect of shining a torch-beam on a newt in a pond.

I'm not criticising you, Gemma; of course people who have licenses for approved purposes shouldn't be made to feel guilty. That wasn't my intention at all. They are doing valuable work. But where does this leave the ordinary public, the non-scientists, who may be enthusiastic observers of wildlife, and who are being asked, in some cases, to accept inconvenience for the sake of these animals' protection? Usually, there is a trade-off between the needs of eco-tourism (and this is what it is, whenever anyone goes out to see lizards or snakes on a heath with no licensed scientific purpose) and those of conservation; this is clearly the case with bird-watching. It is recognised that bird-watchers have a legitimate interest, and that the ethical case for conservation is partly based on the cultural meaning that wild nature has for people. It's a pity that watching reptiles and amphibians doesn't receive the same consideration - that's a large part of the reason why birds so often take priority in land-management decisions, to the fury of many on this list. In the long run, wild nature will only be preserved if people value it, and they will only value it through having a relationship with it.

In your judgement, is there really any evidence that shining a torch-beam on a newt in a pond disturbs the newt in a non-trivial or damaging way? If so, does the disturbance depend on the length of time the beam is directed at the newt, and the frequency? In other words - regardless of the law, for the moment - is there a way in which interested people can watch newts effectively without causing non-trivial damage?

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:38am
I've just looked at the newt hunt website:

It recommends watching by torch - gives instructions for it, in fact. Then it provides a box to tick if you saw Great Crested Newts (though the main purpose is to survey Smooth and Palmate). There is no warning about any possible illegality. The wording is encouraging ('you might be lucky enough to see them'), though the website then says that the Cresteds are more easily disturbed (why?) and therefore should not be counted. It doesn't say stop the whole operation as soon as you see a Great Crested. The whole project was designed by ARC and ARG. It seems that they don't think there are any legal problems about watching by torch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic