the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Early Toad Metamorphosis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Toad Metamorphosis?
    Posted: 30 May 2004 at 9:10pm

I've not seen toadlets ready to leave a pond this early before, but we introduced a few tadpoles to our new garden pond and many already have well developed front legs and are absorbing their tails (maybe a good job considering the dragonfly larva now prowling the pond), they look to be a good size, when is the earliest people have seen metamorphosis in Common Toads?

Edited by administrator
AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2004 at 10:34pm

I saw a fully morphed toadlet in anglesea on saturday.

The ones in my pond are full sized, and growing the leg buds, with the few speckles starting to appear

AJfr0ggy

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2004 at 12:31pm

Thanks for that AJfr0ggy, I'll have to go and look at the donor population and see if the warm water in our garden pond speeded up development.

The earliest I've recorded emerging toadlets in the past was the 16th June at a pond in Tiptree Essex, we checked that out yesteday and the tadpoles mostly have back legs but no front as yet.

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic