the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

earliest sighting????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MORG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: earliest sighting????
    Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 4:43pm

Clearing out one of my garden ponds this afternoon, I came accross a fully crested up male Triturus cristatus swimming around.

They returned early last year, but although weve had a mild December, this seems rather early to me.

Trouble is, Im going to be out there every chance I get now looking out for any more returning newts.

Morg
love punk-hate racism
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2006 at 5:42pm
I finally got a pond in September last year so a bit late in the season for anything although a frog arrived within days and I think is hibernating in the mud. We have newts in the garden here so am hoping for some in there - not GCNs though. I would be so thrilled to see one of those in my pond. Not beyond the realms of possibility as I'm only 400yards from where one was found in a garden pond last year. They are supposedly rare round here (East Devon) but there are old marl pit/ponds in the vicinity and I don't expect a lot of surveying has been done for them in this area. 
Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2006 at 9:39am

Hi Morg,

Last year we had a couple of smooth newts active in the pond in early January. I'll have to get out with a torch and see if they around this year. It seems some indivdual newts can be around at this time, but I've not seen male GCN or males of either of the other two species in full breeding dress this early.

I kept a log of smooth newt sightings in our garden pond last year, it was interesting to see how from a couple of active females in January the numbers rose into the 30's by March.

MORG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MORG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 2:11pm

After what seems like a very long wait for more returns, it looks like the single male cristatus has at last been joined by another male cristatus, also theres a single male vulgaris swimming around in my smallest pond.

Cant see any females as yet though.

Edited by MORG
Morg
love punk-hate racism
MORG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MORG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 4:21pm

Well they are back early again this year.

First sighting in my garden ponds was the 2nd of January 2007.

This sighting was one fully crested up T cristatus, so last night I spent some time out there pond watching and in one of my small gardens ponds I saw 3 male cristatus, 1 female cristatus[being persued by one of the males tail wafting, and a male T vulgaris.

It looks like its back to pond watching every night from now on for me lol.

Morg
love punk-hate racism
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2007 at 5:54pm
Hi Morg,
Two days ago I found a couple of last years baby frogs dead in the grass beside my pond. They looked kind of bloated so I cut them open. Inside each frog was a freshly eaten worm. It would seem that these two were confused on a mild day and fed , it must've killed them

Speaking of foriegn frogs I have an Asian Foam nest frog here that I bought for scenting pinkies. I only intended on keeping him for a short while but have grown quite fond of his company. He's now been moved from a fauna box to a tank with complete set-up
O-> O+>
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2007 at 3:10pm
################
http://ukreptiles.proboards55.com
MORG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MORG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 7:18pm

A bit late  returning this year, but it has been a terrible winter

Ive spent the last few days clearing dead frogs out of my garden  ponds[14 in all] that died during the big freeze, but these few days and nights of warmer weather have started the returns

This is the lastest Ive seen returning cresteds since I started recording it though

Morg
love punk-hate racism
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:07pm
apologies for quality. but hey, aquatic newts are hard to shoot for a beginner.

heres all 3 sp of newt photographed today;

crevalle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crevalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:54am
I'm seriously so jealous I don't have the words right now. Unbelievable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic