the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does the public care?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:48am

The environment agency got back to me straight away and said they know nothing about it which got me thinking, I reckon the person that told me about them putting fish in the lake had got it wrong, I believed him because he isnÆt a kn*bhead and going by that article it could have been read that way but I now reckon the angling is going to be introduced alongside the river on the Halls grounds, thatÆs my theory anyway. Wonder who told my neighbour they were putting fish in the lake? He definitely thought fish were being put in there but I think he was wrong. Wish the hall had replied to what I said on facebook and wish the article was more clear. What a waste of worry if IÆm right.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:49am

But excellent news at the same time if the fishing wonÆt be on the lake.

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 12:10pm
p

Edited by Scale
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 2:24pm

I donÆt like fishermen, fishing is mean. Uncle Derek does fishing and he kills maggots and cuts up poor worms. HeÆs sick he is. & his car gets all filthy with his mucky equipment, I donÆt like putting my shopping in there when itÆs all grubby. & when he goes sea fishing with his pals he wears a cap and the cap always has scales stuck to it and itÆs rancid and horrible. I donÆt see the point of it at all really cos itÆs not like he ever brings home fish to eat, it just costs him a fortune in equipment and fees and petrol and it must be the most boring thing ever. He should stay at home and get on with that long list of DIY jobs that heÆs been putting off for years.   Slacker.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 4:19pm

I saw shed loads of tadpoles in the lake the other day. The feed pipe to the lake’s collapsed and the water’s at a low level and the taddies are real visible. Dunno if they’re frog or toad taddies though.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 10:13pm
hi sue,

youve got frog taddies so you know that they are dark brown, a bit speckly, have pointed tails and swim independently of one another.

well TOAD tadpoles are BLACK.
they have shorter, blunter, more rounded tails and they often swim together in shoals - like fish.
sorry i havent got any pix of them!

however as requested by Gemma, here are some newt egg photos.
firstly, Smooth and Palmate newt;

as you can see they are tiny, buff in colour and are usually laid loosely amongst aquatic vegetation.
(if you look slightly below and left of the egg in the pic, you can spot a second one partially visible.)
as previously pointed out in this thread, all newt eggs are deposited singly - not together in clumps or strings like frog and toad spawn.

in addition, a female Great Crested Newt normally takes her egg-laying to a higher level of parental care than the other 2 species;
she seeks out a plant leaf, lays her egg on it and then folds it in 2 with her hind legs - in an effort to protect it from predators.
this process is carried out most frequently at night.
since the egg is sticky, the leaf wont come undone and remains that way until the larva is ready to hatch out and take its chances in the water 2-3 weeks later.
GCN eggs are WHITE and slightly larger than those of Smooth or Palmate..

check out the bottom leaf of this sprig of Watercress for an example of an egg wrapped up by a GCN;

these tell-tale folded leaves are an excellent way of detecting GCNs in a pond without actually seeing any of the animals themselves.

hope all this helps

ben

PS sorry your original thread got hijacked Vicar!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 4:03pm

Not even sure if there’s any of that sort of pond weed in the lake for me to even see if there’s newt eggs. There’s certainly none around the sides where the public is allowed and I sure don’t fancy wading in at the other end to see what lurks there. I’m gonna have to study tadpoles harder, they all look the same to me. I’ll try inspecting my pond frog tadpoles and look for the speckles, whenever I’ve looked at them before they all just look black though. Perhaps if I familiarise myself with froggie tadpoles then I’ll be able to spot toad tadpoles out as being different. Though I’m not sure if I’ll be able to see the lake’s tadpoles again as it’s filled up with water again now and there wasn’t any visible a few days ago. Thanks for the newt egg pic though Ben, that’s educated me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic