the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does the public care?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Dave1812 Dave1812 wrote:

Unfortunately you are correct in your assumption, the fish will eat the frog/toad/newt eggs and should they hatch will eat the young. As well as changing the balance of the water condition, reducing the potential food of any young to reach maturity.

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Toads should be OK with fish, if it's a lake is it mainly a toad population Sue? If so not so bad. Frogs and newts though, no hope they'll be gone.

How come toads are ok with fish and frogs ainÆt? Is toad spawn and baby toads less tasty to fish?

HereÆs the lake in summer.

HereÆs the lake in winter.

My house is one of them behind the lake and my small garden pond is at the front of my house away from the lake. My pond has only frogs in. IÆve seen frogs b*nking in the National Trusts grounds (rescued a couple from traffic) and Meanie Mummy said in the olden days newts were there but I ainÆt seen any but the gates are closed at night and I ainÆt never been trampling around looking for them in the undergrowth cos at the mo one side of the lake isnÆt open to the public (near my house where all the trees are), presumably that will change when they add the fish and meanie fishermen. IÆve seen plenty of toads in my back yard and they must breed in the lake, thereÆs nowhere else nearby for frogs and toads, just houses one side (where I am, they all have small gardens and no ponds), the main busy road, the river, and then fields. Lake frogs and newts are doomed then.

(Incidentally if youÆre wondering where I go frogging itÆs a few minutes away on the other side of the canal. (Past the main road.) Actually thereÆs only a few frogs there and I catch nearly all toads and they seem to just stay on the far side of the canal, not the side nearer my house.)

Are the National Trust allowed to do what they want with their own grounds? Nobody else can have a say? I like the lake looking murky. What does a "revival of a dried-up lake" mean? Source: http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/8835709.East_Ridd lesden_Hall_wins___20_000_to_restore_grounds/ . Do they mean theyÆre just plonking some fish in?

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

I wouldn't worry about going off topic btw, not many threads on here ever stay entirely on topic, I think it's the way we all like it.

I got banned from a forum for being off-topic talking about frogs once, I thought it was funny.

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:01pm

Edited by Scale
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:06pm
a

Edited by Scale
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 11:46am

Thanks for the info.

So they actually need a license for stocking a lake with fish? WhatÆs the license called? & where do they get the license from? Like who enforces it?

Dunno if thereÆs Great Crested Newts in there. & I doubt IÆm the one to survey and look for them cos IÆm not an expert on newt types or eggs. BTW, surely their eggs would be hard to spot in a lake so big plus thereÆs only access to the lake from half the side of it (for me) and that side has a stone edge, it looks more like a man-made boating lake and itÆs only a foot deep at the sides where tourists can go i.e. doesnÆt look like thereÆs a hive of wildlife there, just looks murky shallow water, I expect amphibians would lurk at the other side where it looks more natural.

Or maybe in the reeds.

& I ainÆt got a clue how deep the lake is, I was always under the assumption itÆs shallow cos it looks it from the sides, maybe IÆm wrong.

IÆve found newts before whilst out toading and looked them up after and they looked to be common ones (think Meanie Mummy was responsible for running one over ), are Great Crested Newts widespread? Are they likely to be here in West Yorkshire? Or are they very rare indeed?

IÆm willing to give the National Trust a grilling, I was gonna grill them over the safety of that massive tree towering over my house anyway, if it falls my way in strong winds IÆm dead. I might become a real pain in the *rse to them. Could do with info before charging in though, donÆt want them to say "whatÆs it gotta do with you, we can do what we like" at me. If IÆm gonna contact them IÆd better do it soon, dunno when they plan to do all the work. All I know is that about a week ago they felled some trees and moved office staff into the building opposite me so theyÆre obviously already counting the money and making changes.

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:46pm
b

Edited by Scale
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 10:24pm

I would bet money that the only amphibians that would regularly use that lake are toads.

You can rule out GCN due to the wildfowl.

Fish won't touch toad taddies Sue, they taste awful. All the big toad populations are found in lakes with fish. They may be planning stocking that lake, but I would bet there are fish in it already.

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 8:47am
c

Edited by Scale
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:24pm
Scale with respect, someone of my caliber simply knows that lake does not support a breeding population of GCN.

Further, you shouldn't be encouraging Sue to torch a pond for GCN, she is not a licence holder!

Of course there is always the possibility... but really it's all becoming a storm in a teacup

This is not a professional assessment, I'm simply trying to reassure Sue she need not loose any sleep regarding the stocking of the lake with fish with regard to its impact on local amphibian populations.

And attempts to 'cry newt' are unlikely to change anything

Edited by GemmaJF
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
z

Edited by Scale
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:24pm
I'm trying to help her also be saving any unnecessary concern.

Torching is disturbance, plain and simple. Hence one holds a licence for torching, netting, bottle trapping...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic