the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

do they think itos all over ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: do they think itos all over ?
    Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 10:37am
Just paid a visit to two of my favourite adder sites in superb weather (19 deg C, good sunshine) and seen a grand total of 1 (baby) adder.  Now it could be that I was just being unobservant (but saw 30 at one of the sites a few weeks ago), but it made me think perhaps adders (and other reptiles) are more driven to go underground more by decreasing daylength rather than temperature.  After all, once feeding, breeding and birthing is over, what's the point of laying out and metabolising your fat reserves faster than in the cool underground ?   Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Will
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 12:24pm
Just had a report in today of six adult adders in close proximity (Surrey).
But we are getting very close to the end now.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 2:03pm
After John Newton found several out yesterday in Yorkshire on a calm sunny day I went up on the Peak District Moors today and found 4 males quite easily at a couple of the hibernation sites, despite the very gusty wind and only intermittent sunny spells. In his 1997 book Derek Whitely had the latest record in the Sheffield/Peak District area as 20 October. However as his earliest record in those days was 22 March and we regularly get them out in early February now, if the weather stays right we could extend the records to the end of the month, leaving them with a very short hibernation period.
PS. The earliest record is now the one Derek managed to find out on 31st January this year. 
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Marsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 10:48am

Found two juv and one female on Weds 29 in Surrey, about 11 a.m.. There was snow overnight and I was pretty surprised at the find. No snow laying in the area of the sighting though. It's one of those spots you can have a quick check (5-10 mins), just in case.

Steve, was that Surrey report you mentioned mine? I sent the record that date, but it referred to a spring sighting. As it happens the above sighting is the same place though!

Edited by Marsh
Marsh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic