the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Developers & BAP Species

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developers & BAP Species
    Posted: 07 Jul 2003 at 3:35pm
Hi, (and apologies for the length)

Very off topic, but some of you may be able to help with advice please.

I have been contacted by a gentleman trying to save an area of land in the center (almost) of Aldershot. The 2.6ha site lies within a conservation area and has an history association being mentioned in the Crondall One Hundred in 885A.D.; identifying the area as part of King Alfred's private estate. The area was the former Annex part of the Farnborough College of Technology, sold off (to Barratts for ú8.5M) a couple of years ago for development. Planning permisson has been refused a couple of times but is provisional for 128 homes.

The point is that the site would appear to have key BAP species, but no surveys of the site were offically done by the council prior or subsequent to the site being sold or during demolition. The local authority never
insisted on an Environmental Impact Study to be undertaken by the developer who has since sold the land to another developer. The group trying to fight
this development has been told that they would have to mount a legal challenge to the development, but time and money is non existant. I believe there is a Judicial Review Hearing on the 17th September 03 to address
this.

Who can be contacted in such a situation, the council is prevaracating, and English Nature don't want to know (denying they need to be involved apparently).

I have a list of species if anybody wants to see it (70 wildflowers, 30 grasses, Pippistrelles and a number of UKBAP & English Nature SPR's).

Mike.
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
Mervyn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mervyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2003 at 3:45pm

Mike

Do you have any more information on the proposed Judicial Review eg who has applied for the review and on what grounds?

Mervyn J. COTTENDEN, CPA
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2003 at 5:08pm
BAPs are the responsibility of Local Authorities, though there will be other partners for specific HAP's and SAP's, including English Nature etc. The BAp's and the partners involved in them are listed on the UKBAP website, and I would have thought that contacting some of these partners might help.

As I understand it, BAP species have no legal protection per se, its just that the LA is obliged to write the BAP (though not to implement it), unless the same species have protection through the WCA 1981 or Habitats Regulations.

Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 8:54am
Mervyn,

I will get back with info on the Judicial Review when I find out.

Mike.
Soemtron
Mervyn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mervyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2003 at 10:19am
Thanks Mike
Mervyn J. COTTENDEN, CPA
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2003 at 9:20am

Mervyn, now had a reply about the Judicial Review. Copied directly from Lee's email.

-------------------

Mike,

The Judicial Review is lodged over this business of RBC not carrying out/insisting on the developer completing an Environmental Impact Study.  As you know to get awarded a judicial review in any case is rare - so there must be a good case.

Our solicitors have changed their stance to a 'no win, no fee' and we need to raise ú2400 to see us to the end of the JR.  The date set is for the 17 Sept and we feel RBC are expecting our funds not stretching that far and that we will back down.

I have not yet spoken to Chris Hall, This is the next key step for us, if he can persuade English Nature with a proper recognised report that there is sufficient evidence on our findings it will really add some weight to our case.  As you know we have been through a Public Inquiry and a huge campaign over this whole business with TV & radio,
papers etc, which has resulted in lots of interest (and sympathy) but it will not budge the authorities.  This is our last ditched angle of attack. We intend (after the report) running our biggest media campaign.  We have to be careful with who speak's to who, so we do not compromise ourselves with certain personalities within the group as far as the JR is concerned. John Moon from the Hampshire Greenfield Alliance has been helpful and has recommended Blackwater Valley FOE & The Hampshire Wildlife Trust.  I have sent many emails this evening to these and all those recommended by the Urban Parks Forum through you.  The Urban Parks Forum people in their email
mentioned 'groundwork', who are these people? Under your heading of campaigning in one of your emails we have pretty much all that you suggested.  We had an email site under AMPLEE which is now dated and as for the political arena my trust has diminished considerably as many have 'slopey shoulders'.

I have a copy of the bat report on file if you would like a copy.  I have attached an updated list  from Joanna our resident amateur wildlife entrepreneur.

---------------------------

I have asked for a copy of the bat report, Updated list available here, Groundwork are here

Mike.

Soemtron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic