the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Delamere Forest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delamere Forest
    Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 8:51am
has anyone been to delamere forest,is there reptiles there,it seems like a likly place ill go next yeat,any hunts of were they are in the forest.
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by james4 james4 wrote:

has anyone been to delamere forest,is there reptiles there,it seems like a likly place ill go next yeat,any hunts of were they are in the forest.

From doing a Google search it appears you will find reptiles in Delamere Forest, I presume you're mainly after Adders?. Have a look in April and let us know how you get on.

Alex.

james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 1:06pm
ok ,its a forest though,so i doubt there there in the forest as it trees and they need the sun,trees block the sun.
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 1:07pm
p.s not just adders any reptiles.
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by james4 james4 wrote:

ok ,its a forest though,so i doubt there there in the forest as it trees and they need the sun,trees block the sun.

I think that Delamere Forest is just the name of the park, I'm sure you will find some open sunny spots close to cover where, with luck, you may spot an Adder, GS or CL. You will need to tread carefully and with no sudden movements, keeping your eyes peeled at all times. I'm fortunate that I live in Dorset and get to see our native herpetofauna frequently. Good luck (and take a camera).

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 2:07pm

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

General names for an area can be misleading, take the New Forest for example, you will not find a better reptile area.

Thankyou Tony, you've hit the nail on the head here, whereas my explanation didn't quite, well, hit the nail on the head!

Alex. 

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 2:09pm
P.s, Tony, sorry to go off topic here...did you used to be curator at Poole Aquarium?
james4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 3:18pm
yes ok ill go around march/april to look,
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 4:43pm
Yup, I love that part of UK too.
My wife and I got married in Bournemouth, then across to Studland for the reception at the Banks arms and a romantic few days in a hotel there.
I'd often visit the serpenterium and have a look around every time I was in the area.

Prior to this as a teenager and into my early twenties i'd visit Studland with some mates to look for the big six on Studland Heath but, we usually got distracted by the females of our species on the beach
We'd make notes of course, were they feeding at the time? Gravid? etc etc

O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2007 at 5:04pm
I heard about this ,it must've been bloody devastating, i'd of been fuming too.
Unfortunately it was some time after you left Tony, there was a pair of xanthina there , a trio of gabs, puffs, ammodytes, a lovelly big atrox, some cerastes and a few others that i can't remember.

Shortly afterwards my first visit i took that step into the world of keeping venomous.
Was the new guinea croc there when you were curator?
O-> O+>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic