the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declining number of Great Crested Newts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:30pm
I think it is a good point there may be a need for mitigation at site level and the current regulations/laws cater well for that. I think though Will and I both have the same view, it is about 'bang for your buck' which Americans are keen on saying. The current situation is that things are done to comply with regulations but is it the best use of the money and could the wording of the current laws/regulations be changed?

I've run projects in excess of 150K to meet current regulations and protect animals. Just think what could have been done with that money if we hadn't spent 70K on fencing and a lot of the rest on paying workers to capture and move the animals and only a small percentage of the total cost on creating new habitat to compensate what was lost to the development. A huge amount of that money in my opinion was wasted with no real long term benefit for the animals to dare I say it 'jump hoops' that were put in our way.

We could have done way way more in terms of habitat creation with quarter off that budget and probably been able to put in green corridors right through the surrounding area with numerous ponds, new hedgerows which would have benefited a huge range of wildlife, and created long term connectivity to several adjacent sites. As it is it's all about protecting clients from prosecution by meeting the wording of the current legislation - I just wonder if it is the most effective strategy for the long term conservation of wildlife.

I'm also all for people using the countryside a lot more. Around here I'm surrounded by open arable fields, more space than anyone could want, yet hardly anyone local is allowed to use it any way. It would be great to see that broken up with green corridors paid for by development money which could also include facilities for people as well as wildlife. I think the majority of people have totally lost touch with nature and without providing a link for them back to it, our cause is a difficult one at the best of times. 

Edited by GemmaJF - 07 Nov 2012 at 1:52am
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 7:16am
Yes, I would agree with Gemma re bang for your buck.  I am not advocating a sledgehammer approach, but rather a broad brush one.  Small populations are certainly valuable especially if isolated and the only ones for some distance (as we often have in London, for example).  However I think it is time for a review of the way that individual animals are often more highly valued by the Law than populations, given that the original rationale for protection under the W and C Act was often to protect species where there were genuinely only a handful of individuals in the UK (eagles, ospreys etc) - not so applicable to small animals lower down the food chain like GCN.  I certainly would not like a developer to use digging a couple of ponds to offset loss of animals on site as an easy way out, but on the other hand, as Gemma says, think what could be done with 70Ks worth of exclusion fencing spent on habitat creation and management to enhance the local and even regional status of GCN...    
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

i'd assume it was modeled on known extinction rates at known sites against predicted range, and did not include our efforts to offset such losses. Don't quote me on that though, the discussion of the book on the other thread just reminded me of it. Caleb probably has the original scientific paper on it

It's from the very beginning of the UK BAP (1995), and it says:

"Work in the early 1980s documented a 2% decline in
the number of ponds every five years. A more recent report
suggests that 42% of great crested newt populations in the
London area have been lost in 20 years. Assuming a 0.4-2%
annual loss of ponds, and assuming 18,000 populations, then
between 72-360 populations are being lost each year. A target
of 100 re-colonisations will offset these losses. This represents
new ponds required to offset losses due to neglect and should
be in addition to preventing site loss through development."

So have we had an extra 100 GCN ponds every year since 1995? 

(Incidentally, a decline of 2% per year doesn't mean extinction in 50 years, as it's multiplied year on year by the number of ponds you have remaining. From 18000 to 0 at 2% works out to 484 years if my maths is correct.) 

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by will will wrote:

- which is why, in my very humble opinion, the law needs to be changed to recognise the importance of conserving populations (ie the integrity of the species) and so a developer would pay to create 50 ponds, say, at a thousand pounds each, rather than spending the same money shifting half a dozen GCN from being squashed (which is probably a fraction of the number that get squashed by cars on the road next to the development in a single night once the proud new owners of the houses have moved in to them...)

It's not the law that needs to be changed - the Habs Directive and subsequently the Conservation Regulations are sufficiently strong - it's their interpretation by SNCOs that need to alter. When it comes to article 16 derogations, the maintenance of populations of things like GCNs at a favourable conservation status in their natural range, should be able to be achieved in a strategic way with developer contributions, rather than relying purely on site-by-site mitigation.
Local Authority Ecologist
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 9:50am
This 2% loss every five years is the standard rate of decline cited in many biodiversity action plans for GCN. 

However, i'm sure the rate of decline mentioned in the book is based on a different study. I may be wrong, its been a while since i read it, but when i have the time, or if anyone else remembers, i'll post the passage verbatim.

P.S. Caleb, thanks for the Muellner paper by the way

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 10:02am
Originally posted by MancD MancD wrote:

The offences under the Habs Regs protect individual newts and their habitats so it wouldn't be possible for NE to simply issue a licence committing a developer to dig some new ponds in the countryside and hope for the best. Any such licence would by default have to permit the potential destruction of breeding sites/resting places and the killing/injuring of newts if no capture or exclusion was proposed.
If a developer was required to provide funds for pond creation elsewhere in the county, or for management of a large newt population nearby, this would obviously be beneficial for those populations, but failure to mitigate the impacts at the development site level could leave the affected population facing extinction. It may only be a small population but it could be a critical link in a wider metapopulation.

As above, the Directive speaks of mainenance of FCS of populations in the neatural range. Granted, this wouldn't be as simple as digging a few ponds elswhere and hoping for the best, but equally I don't see why, in law, contributions to a strategic scheme, which if successful would demonstrably enhance the FCS of the species as a whole, is not possible. I don't agree that the plural 'populations' in the text of article 16 refers to individual ponds; maybe there's been a ruling on this, I don't know.

I can see that if a population is part of a strategic link through some sort of ecological bottleneck, then it would have to be preserved in situ. But equally, I can think of any number of ponds which are totally isolated and not contributing to any metpopulation or wider population, and probably never will. Should these populations be in some sort of managed decline, whilst contribution from developers which would otherwise be spent on mitigation at that site could instead be used to manage and enhance the strategically important populations?

To counter this the 'Countryside on your doorstep' argument is used, whereby people are entitled to see the fragments of semi-natural habitat, and the species that they support, at the end of their street preserved for their enjoyment, inspiration, education etc, rather than lost to development subject to compensatory habitats provided potentially many miles from where they live.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by MancD MancD wrote:

[QUOTE=will]
If I had £1 for each case I've seen where ecologists try to justify losses of terrestrial habitats through the provision of a couple of ponds in a shrinking receptor site, well, I'd be a very rich man!

Maybe a topic for a separate discusion, but I guess this depends upon what is the overriding constraint on the population size, whether it be the availability of suitable breeding habitat in the pond, or of whatever function the land provides, such as hidey-holes or food.

Clearly there has to be some relationship between availability of terrestrial habitat and population size, because, as above, no land = no newts. But equally, as the availability of terrestrial habitat increases, maybe a point is reached at which there are so many creepy-crawlies, worms, things to hide under etc that there are far too many that all the newts could ever need, and instead population expansion is constrained by other factors such as availability of breeding habitat, abundance of predators etc.

Is it known at what area of terrestrial habitat, compared to pond size, this point is reached?

Personally I would always welcome the construction of additional ponds, but equally would not accept substantial loss of terrestrial habitat. This being the case it would be helpful if I had an idea of, assuming the breeding habitat was optimal, what then would be a minimal area of terrestrial habitat that has to be preserved?
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 11:14am

[/QUOTE]

Is it known at what area of terrestrial habitat, compared to pond size, this point is reached?

[/QUOTE]

Presumably that would depend on the quality and type of habitat.

From the GCN conservation handbook:

"Great crested newt densities have been measured at a range of
sites. They have rarely been found to exceed 400 adult newts
per hectare, but 100-300 per hectare is perhaps more typical. A
small pond may need at least half a hectare of suitable habitat
around it to support a viable population of great crested newts.
Newt numbers may be greatly reduced and the population left
vulnerable to local extinction when the amount of land habitat
is too small or when connections to other ponds are lost. The
ratio of water to good quality land habitat for optimum newt
numbers is not known, but a 1:20 ratio may not be excessive.
On this basis, a pond with a 20 metre span will be supported
by a little over one hectare of good quality land habitat. A ten
hectare habitat creation area might support between five and
ten ponds of such a size."
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Matt Harris Matt Harris wrote:

Originally posted by will will wrote:

- which is why, in my very humble opinion, the law needs to be changed to recognise the importance of conserving populations (ie the integrity of the species) and so a developer would pay to create 50 ponds, say, at a thousand pounds each, rather than spending the same money shifting half a dozen GCN from being squashed (which is probably a fraction of the number that get squashed by cars on the road next to the development in a single night once the proud new owners of the houses have moved in to them...)

It's not the law that needs to be changed - the Habs Directive and subsequently the Conservation Regulations are sufficiently strong - it's their interpretation by SNCOs that need to alter. When it comes to article 16 derogations, the maintenance of populations of things like GCNs at a favourable conservation status in their natural range, should be able to be achieved in a strategic way with developer contributions, rather than relying purely on site-by-site mitigation.

How does that sit with the wording of the WCA? Is it not a case that GCN are specifically protected as individual animals? I know in my own experience and with many other consultants the reason we are being paid by developers is to protect them from prosecution under that act. This almost invariably will involve fencing and capture to achieve this to a reasonable level. Most other legislation is looked at as additional consideration the project will invariably primarily be aimed at protecting the client from prosecution and in practice anything else depends how persuasive and inventive the consultant involved is.

Edited by GemmaJF - 07 Nov 2012 at 2:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

How does that sit with the wording of the WCA? Is it not a case that GCN are specifically protected as individual animals? I know in my own experience and with many other consultants the reason we are being paid by developers is to protect them from prosecution under that act. This almost invariably will involve fencing and capture to achieve this to a reasonable level. Most other legislation is looked at as additional consideration the project will invariably primarily be aimed at protecting the client from prosecution and in practice anything else depends how persuasive and inventive the consultant involved is.

I think that's the point in that the legislation pertaining to these species is too focused on preserving the life of the individual animal rather than the function of the species as a whole in the ecosystem.

Hence we see the headlines of £XK per newt/dormouse etc, that do no-one any good

None of us like to see animals get hurt but these are meant to be species conservation regulations not animal welfare regulations. Preserving the life of the individual is not necessarily the most efficient way of maintaining a species, in terms of point of focus of conservation efforts, no matter how unpalatable that may be.

I don't know, would private ecological consultants prefer to be involved in creative, wider ecosystem management schemes, than bucketing herps from one site to another?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic