the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declining number of Great Crested Newts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:37am
Whilst on the subject of another thread, the 'recently' published book 'The Crested Newt - A Dwindling Pond Dweller' cited a rate of GCN site loss at 1 or 2 % per year, meaning an (unmitigated) global extinction in 50 - 100 years.....
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

They should be considered Suzy, what happens often in reality is that it is left to the planning authority to 'flag' the need for protected species surveys and make it a condition of planning consent. 

This is just one of several parts of the 'system' that fail. Particularly when even if they do make it a condition that surveys are undertaken there are 'consultants' who will quite happily walk over a site and say nothing is there for £50....

This is where records/local ARGs come in to do the job of the planning authority for them... but then you need someone who is willing to keep tabs on all the planning application, write emails, letters etc etc.

When to ask for a survey on a site which is not previously known to support a given species can be difficult. The LA will not have the luxury of requiring a survey for each and every pond that may be affected by development - instead they have to balance the likelihood that the species will be there, versus the cost and delays to the applicant, bearing in mind their duties under the Habs Regs 9(3).

Ideally, the LA ecologist would have guidelines setting out when surveys are required, but in general terms I look at a) the suitability of the habitat b) the known distribution of the species c)connectivity with known populations. Taking a precautionary approach of course.

I don't know about England, but in Wales policy is that surveys cannot be conditioned - they always have to be undertaken 'up-front' to support the planning application, as the presence of a protected species is a material consideration and must be considered when the application is determined. Again, I can only speak for S Wales, but conditioned surveys (in the absence of a prior survey) are virtually unheard of here.

Local Authority Ecologist
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 3:01pm
[/QUOTE] 

I don't know about England, but in Wales policy is that surveys cannot be conditioned - they always have to be undertaken 'up-front' to support the planning application, as the presence of a protected species is a material consideration and must be considered when the application is determined. Again, I can only speak for S Wales, but conditioned surveys (in the absence of a prior survey) are virtually unheard of here.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly the same in England and the rest of the UK and pretty important it is too considering the implications it can have on the site design, layout etc etc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

Whilst on the subject of another thread, the 'recently' published book 'The Crested Newt - A Dwindling Pond Dweller' cited a rate of GCN site loss at 1 or 2 % per year, meaning an (unmitigated) global extinction in 50 - 100 years.....

I assume this rate of loss is for 'known' GCN sites, which begs the question, what proportion of 'actual' GCN sites are 'known' about.

Certainly in S E Wales I would say that proportion is low. Many counties have not had a systematic GCN survey, or even a county-wide pond survey, and ad hoc surveys by ARGs regularly turn up new populations. Even in as well a studied, and very small, county like Cardiff, a pond turned up a previously unknown GCN population a few years ago.

However, it's not unreasonable to assume that the rate of known GCN pond loss is the same as the rate of loss of populations that we don't know about.

Without having read (or even bought ), the book quoted above, is the 1 - 2% figure the gross rate of loss or the net rate, taking into account losses offset by creation of new ponds?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 3:24pm
Bad wording on my part, 'condition' having a more specific meaning in planning speak than I intended in my reply.

I agree survey is not actually a 'condition' of planning consent in the UK, but rather up-front in support of the planning application.

Fact is around here 99% of the time if the right person was surveying they would find reptiles or amphibians. So I regard this as the failure. Right next to a site I surveyed last year a walk over survey concluded 'low potential for reptiles'. What total nonsense, I was pulling out animals on the first day of my survey and the adjacent development area was optimal habitat. It gets a little frustrating at times. Everyone was bleating on 'oh if you find GCN they will have to stop work' - not my responsibility and no doubt the site was full of reptiles in any case! (I should point out I only started my survey work after the adjacent site was well and truly trashed - though I did see it the season before and would have without doubt classed it as optimal reptile habitat)

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 Nov 2012 at 3:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Right next to a site I surveyed last year a walk over survey concluded 'low potential for reptiles'. What total nonsense, I was pulling out animals on the first day of my survey and the adjacent development area was optimal habitat. It gets a little frustrating at times.

Now there's a familiar story!

Edited by Matt Harris - 06 Nov 2012 at 3:42pm
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 4:01pm
I would need to have a look at the book again, but i'd assume it was modeled on known extinction rates at known sites against predicted range, and did not include our efforts to offset such losses. Don't quote me on that though, the discussion of the book on the other thread just reminded me of it. Caleb probably has the original scientific paper on it; good man LOL 

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 4:37pm
It's a thought isn't it that in x years we could have totally failed and actually see extinction of a protected species. 

I guess though that is unlikely, there are some (many) sites that are well managed for GCN so total extinction is I would guess not likely in 50 or 100 years. It's all about 'integrity' of a species in a given area and my feeling is that far too much emphasis is placed on dealing with GCN on a site by site basis (in terms of commercial mitigation projects) rather than getting the whole picture. It would be nice to see more funding going to pond creation throughout the wider countryside and farmers being encouraged to put back hedgerows and meadows...

In simple terms if GCN returned to the wider countryside there would be less need for developers who don't want the responsibility to carry the can, less fire fighting and less concern if an individual site were to be lost.

Edited by GemmaJF - 06 Nov 2012 at 4:43pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 5:30pm
'In simple terms if GCN returned to the wider countryside there would be less need for developers who don't want the responsibility to carry the can, less fire fighting and less concern if an individual site were to be lost.'

- which is why, in my very humble opinion, the law needs to be changed to recognise the importance of conserving populations (ie the integrity of the species) and so a developer would pay to create 50 ponds, say, at a thousand pounds each, rather than spending the same money shifting half a dozen GCN from being squashed (which is probably a fraction of the number that get squashed by cars on the road next to the development in a single night once the proud new owners of the houses have moved in to them...)
MancD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MancD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

'In simple terms if GCN returned to the wider countryside there would be less need for developers who don't want the responsibility to carry the can, less fire fighting and less concern if an individual site were to be lost.'

- which is why, in my very humble opinion, the law needs to be changed to recognise the importance of conserving populations (ie the integrity of the species) and so a developer would pay to create 50 ponds, say, at a thousand pounds each, rather than spending the same money shifting half a dozen GCN from being squashed (which is probably a fraction of the number that get squashed by cars on the road next to the development in a single night once the proud new owners of the houses have moved in to them...)

An interesting discussion. The offences under the Habs Regs protect individual newts and their habitats so it wouldn't be possible for NE to simply issue a licence committing a developer to dig some new ponds in the countryside and hope for the best. Any such licence would by default have to permit the potential destruction of breeding sites/resting places and the killing/injuring of newts if no capture or exclusion was proposed. Terrestrial habitats are also key and often underplayed in mitigation schemes; terrestrial habitats in receptor sites take time to mature  and of course involve land that the developer would much rather build upon.

If I had £1 for each case I've seen where ecologists try to justify losses of terrestrial habitats through the provision of a couple of ponds in a shrinking receptor site, well, I'd be a very rich man!

I'd say that the law does recognise the importance of populations at the moment. You survey the site to identify breeding ponds likely dispersal routes and habitat quality, you assess the impacts of the development, and you provide mitigation/habitat compensation for the development impacts to the populations in the area. Part of the mitigation design should identify fragmentation impacts or post development mortality caused by roads or residential development and either avoid them by moving the roads, or mitigate for them so that these impacts don't happen.  The outcome of this is then that the conservation status of the impacted population remains at a favourable level.

If a developer was required to provide funds for pond creation elsewhere in the county, or for management of a large newt population nearby, this would obviously be beneficial for those populations, but failure to mitigate the impacts at the development site level could leave the affected population facing extinction. It may only be a small population but it could be a critical link in a wider metapopulation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic