the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Communal basking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Communal basking
    Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 9:54am

Hi all,

Found these three basking together yesterday. The grass snake was originally basking in the same spot as the adder until it was shoved out of the way. you can't really see from the photo but the grassie is in blue, and very nervous. At one point the adder actually climbed on top of the grass snake, then lay parallel alongside and began furiously tongue-flicking, almost like a courtship behaviour. When the grassie moved away the adder ignored it. Has anybody else seen any sort of interaction between the two species?

The neo viv. lizard didn't hang around much longer! Apologies for the rubbish photo...

cheers, Ian

herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 11:52am

Excellent observations shame you didnt get a picture of the adder on the grass snake -

Jon

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 7:14pm

Ian,

I really like this photo !

Adders and Grass snakes basking in close proximity is very common. They share similar basking requirements, so I guess its not that surprising. On some local heaths, its so common, that when I see an Adder, I'll scan carefully for any grassies before I approach closer.

I quite often see Common lizards basking close to Adders, but they don't like the Adders geting too close ! I can't remember seeing a Common lizard under the same tin as an adult snake of any species.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2006 at 8:18pm
I have never seen a common lizard under a tin with or without snakes.
Suz
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2006 at 3:46am

I have seen plenty of lizards under tins - it is what we use to capture some of the animals in a rescue say - though most of the animals in the later part of the day would be captured off things like anthills, tussocks, fence posts, log piles etc.

Often you will find animals preferring natural habitat to felt or tin though they do use them during their day - with high numbers of ACO's you will find them under tin or felt during rain etc

Regards

Jon

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2006 at 3:48am

Many moons ago long before I had a camera of any kind I came across a grass snake coiled perfectly on top of an adult female adder, and just to top it all off a neo adder coiled perfectly on top of the grass snake on a brash pile at Hindhead commons. I doubt if I'll ever see that again! At this site both species are relatively abundant and it is not too unusual to find them basking in close proximity or in direct contact with each other.

PS I like the picture too, you have really captured the three species together well

yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2006 at 4:00am

This is the only half-decent photo I've got of the two of them together, again not very clear. In my defence I was trying to lean over an electric fence at the time! Both snakes were basking in the same place again yesterday. The adder spent some time rubbing the sides of his head along the logs andlooking, for want of a better word, uncomfortable. Possibly also about to slough?

Suzi + Jon, I've also never found lizards under the tins here, although they're common under logs less than a metre away. On a site in north Kent I know they are regularly found under old carpet with slow worms.

cheers, Ian

yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2006 at 4:08am

Steve,

Thanks for your comments, looking back over my records for this site it's clear that adders and grassies are found in roughly the same areas and I'd not really made the coonection, so ta for that. The grass snake finally gave up trying to bask peacefully when another adder turned up and pushed him out of the way. there was also an adult viv. lizard basking about a metre away who shot off when the grassie moved.

cheers, Ian

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2006 at 5:09pm
When we (John Newton & I) found the one grass snake up on the Peak District Moors this spring it was in the same small area of heather above a stream that had 7 male adders basking around it. No doubt it had shared the same hibernaculum with them over the winter and been " booted out" by them when they decided it was time to emerge for the spring. Unfortunately it didn't seem to stay around to bask with the adders, as on seven subsequent visits only the adders were present.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Morpheus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2006 at 12:53pm
I cant believe you were able to see two spieces of snake and one lizard in one day! being Honest now i have only ever seen one lizard and about 17 slow worms through out my whole life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic