the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Common Lizard Identification & Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INFORMATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common Lizard Identification & Sightings
    Posted: 07 Mar 2003 at 4:42pm

A description and images of the Common or Viviparous Lizard Lacerta vivipara/Zootoca vivipara may be found at:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/common_lizard.htm

® Gemma Fairchild

Edited by administrator
INFORMATION View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote INFORMATION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2003 at 8:03am

Common Lizard Distribution

Date Species Location Stage Notes Sex Sighting Submitted by
16/03/03 Common Lizard Bedburn

C. Leeke
26/03/03 Common Lizard Starcross Adult Males and Females
T. Crawshaw
27/03/03 Common Lizard Matchams Adult 6
T. Phelps

Please add your Common Lizard sightings below so they may be added to the above table and the RAUK distribution map.

If you are unsure of the forum policies regarding accuracy of site descriptions and sighting reports please review them before posting.

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/Forum Policies.htm

Edited by administrator
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2003 at 10:52am
April 18 - Bix, Oxfordshire, 1 subadult, 1 female

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 3:09pm

Hi Wolfgang,

Just to be nosey, when you say BIX did you see them at the Warburg Reserve?  I did herp survey there for a year in 1998/9.  Fantastic place not just for reptiles, but birds, orchids, butterflies etc.

Matthew

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2003 at 3:35pm
Hi Matt,

Yes, 'twas at the Warburg Reserve - and yes, it is definitely one of my favourite places for general naturalist excursions when I am down south. And it is also one of the few reserves I am familiar with where they actually seem to care about the requirements of reptiles as much as about those of other, "prettier" organisms.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
bardofely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardofely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2003 at 9:28pm

I have just been browsing around looking for info on the distribution of the common lizard and happened on this bb. I live in Cardiff and in my childhood and teens, back in the '60s, common lizards were indeed common around here on railway banks on roadside verges and hedgebanks, in allotments and in woodland clearings. They have been vanishing at a very alarming rate and I currently only know 2 sites where you might spot one or 2 on a good day. Other places in Wales where they were once common seem to tell the same sorry tale. I remember they were once to be seen all around Tenby but not any more!

Personally, I think that the vast number of cats have helped this sad decline but this cannot be the case in more rural areas. 

Places where I would be able to see many lizards on a sunny day about 20-30 years ago I now see none. The slow-worm, however, seems to be holding its own in these places so whatever has killed the lizards hasn't killed them.

Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 4:47pm
I found a common lizard on my kitchen floor a couple of days ago!  It's about 2 inches long.  Not sure what to do with it - where should I release it?
Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 5:40pm
I do have a cat, but It appears to have come on of its own accord!!
Trish
Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 6:02pm
By the way, it has on orange belly - is it male?
Trish
Trish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2003 at 7:23pm

Hi Tony,

It has no spots, just plain orange so I guess it's female.  I'm now really interested in lizards - I have always liked snakes but my husband doesn't so maybe lizards are the way to go!  I will look at Dave Bird's photo's. Thankyou!!

Trish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic