the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Great Crested Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CGN advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CGN advice
    Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 3:15pm
Hi all before i post my questions i thought id take the time to introduce myself. My name is Dave im 27 from hertfordshire. I have been keeping exotic amphibians (mainly frogs) for the past 8 years. I have kept many species including A.Callidryas, B.Bombina, M.Nasuta, R.Dennysi, H.Cinera, L.Caerulea, D.Tinctorius, M.Alpestris Alpestris, S. salamandra and many more. As a kid i was always doing the whole tadpole thing and have raised many R.Temporia and B.Bufo.
I have my own frog dedicated webpage, and am in the process of getting envolved with savethefrogs.

My problem is this. I am well known round my way for being the frog guy, or nature boy as my fiancees friends call me.

Wednesday of last week i was handed a tub by a friend of a neighbour and they told me that they dont have a pond but found this
little guy under there shed whilst they were taking it down. I opened the tub to see it contained a juvenile great crested newt so
i told them i would take it of them and get it rehomed.
Now a part of me told me that i should of not got envolved but as someone that is very interested in amphibian conservation i did
not trust they could do the right thing.

At the moment he is housed in a 24x12x12 aquairum that is fully furneshed and is being fed on gutloaded crickets and worms.
I have made a few phone calls regarding his release back to a pond were i know has a healthy population of GCNs but have
been informed that this is illegal, and to be fair with the propblems facing amphibians i am wary to release him as i dont know if he
is carrying any diseases or if the way he come to me is actually true.

So who can i contact regarding either
*Entering him into a breeding programe
*Having him collected by a licence holder
*Obtaining paper work to continue with his care and wellbeing
*Having him released by an authorised conservationist

Thanks for reading my post and i look forward to recieving any help with this matter
D.Knight
http://theworldofrogs.weebly.com
Keeper and breeder of amphibians
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 5:41pm
Best advice is to let him go straightaway as near as possible to the site where he was captured.  A crested newt in immediate danger can be moved without a licence (eg from the path of an oncoming car) but otherwise you are right that a licence is needed.  Pop him back on land in a cool, humid and safe place (dense vegetation etc) in the neighbour's garden ASAP; the longer he spends in captivity the more chance of getting some kind of infection (though I'm sure your animals are all perfectly healthy and well looked after). 
Cheers
Will
iFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 8:24pm
Thanks for the advice will.
I spoke with the people at natural england today via the wildlife management services and they are getting back to me. The only concern i have with releasing him into the neibourghs garden is their dogs and the construction work that is going on, with the shed. I may speak to their neighbourghs and see if i can release it into thier garden.
Dave
D.Knight
http://theworldofrogs.weebly.com
Keeper and breeder of amphibians
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:13pm
Hi again Dave

I'd be interested to know what NE say - please let us know.  Evidently the newt was taken into captivity with the best of intentions, but technically it should not have been captured, only moved from the immediate threat and put somewhere else in the garden.  I wouldn't worry about dogs too much, as long as the newt is released at dusk and in deep cover.  As long as their shed has been taken down, this shouldn't be a problem either.  However, if there's a new construction being put up, they should try and establish a newtproof barrier to stop the danger of the newt (or others) moving into a hazardous location.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic