the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buzzard gut contents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buzzard gut contents
    Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 7:02pm
I randomly came across the blog of someone called Jonathan McGowan.

He seems pretty keen on his reptiles and blogs about all the species in the Bournemouth area, someone must know him on here as he helped out saving all the reptiles after the heath fire?

Anywho one of his posts was really interesting...

Reptile Rapters

Another road killed buzzard was picked up by myself just outside Bournemouth. It was a small light coloured male.On opening up its stomach, I found lots of lizards.Two gravid female common lizards, one gave birth whilst inside the stomach, two slow worms, one juvenile.Here they are in situ.

Here they are displayed out.

I've seen buzzards taking snakes but hadn't heard of many cases of lizards. I guess it isn't that surprising as they mainly feed on worms, but thought I would pass this on anyway!
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 7:41pm
I wish someone would look into the stomach's of pheasants(when they occur on reptile sites) I have long suspected them as a preadator of reptiles ,one of the Merseyside sand lizard sites in particular has a worryingly high number of these pecking around on known S.L habitat.

Edited by Paul Hudson - 25 Jan 2012 at 7:49pm
Paul Hudson
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Paul Hudson Paul Hudson wrote:

I wish someone would look into the stomach's of pheasants(when they occur on reptile sites) I have long suspected them as a preadator of reptiles ,one of the Merseyside sand lizard sites in particular has a worryingly high number of these pecking around on known S.L habitat.

Hi Mark

I know a lot of people who work in and around Bournemouth in ecology and herp work. I'll have a ask around for you and PM you if I find anything. Name doesn't ring a bell though.

Would be very interesting to look at pheasants too, I agree. If i happen to find a dead pheasant, who should we send it too for analysis. Don't really fancy doing this myself!! Was bad enough diasecting a fish at school!

Regards
Sussex Ecology

Edited by sussexecology - 25 Jan 2012 at 8:52pm
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:27pm
very interesting...thank you for sharing.

i see both the viv lizards have shed their tails but the slowie hasn't. don't know if that is indicative of anything.

buzzard numbers seem to have exploded recently. we even get them in and around the city now.

same bloke? http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/26/i-eat-roadkill 

anyone know if red kites predate reptiles?

tim

Edited by tim hamlett - 25 Jan 2012 at 9:30pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 7:02am
Hi mark I am always pulling pheasants apart havent noticed anything yet. Keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 8:47pm
I'm sure Red Kites would take reptiles Tim, their natural prey ranges from earthworms through to rabbits. They have though a distinct preference for carrion over live prey. No doubt part of the reason they are thriving again in the UK is road kill and human rubbish.

Seeing this thread just makes me think of all this over management we see, this is the results animals picked off one after another.

I'm certainly as keen on Raptors and Corvids as I am reptiles. I don't blame the birds, just the idiots that remove the vegetation at key reptile sites which allows high levels of avian predation to occur.
Gio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 10:26pm
The closest I can get to on the pheasant front is a serries of photos posted on a bird forum where a pheasant eats a grass snake....

the images can be seen here

http://southeastbirding.myfreeforum.org/about221.html&highlight=snake

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:08pm
I love this kind of renegade approach to wildlife detection. I bet this J McGowan fella would be someone well worth knowing! I remember finding the upper torso of a lizard in a corvid pellet once under a fence post; he looked like Herbie Robinson from Cleeveland (10 points for the film reference/wiki bashers not welcome please).

Imagine, if that's come out of one animal (in an 8-24 hour period?) how many are being guzzled annually and what impact does this have. Pheasants etc etc. Increased and exposed basking in gravid females must surely make them more prone to predation also....not a good scenario i venture to submit!

P.S. i know not the period of digestive transit in a Buzzard, so don't hold me to it.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:21pm
this was a really interesting post. thanks mark.

its quite surprising what buzzards will have a go at eh?;

Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 10:14am
Hello Gio, Thanks for the interesting link showing a pheasant eating a grass snake, I always suspected them as a predator of reptiles.
Paul Hudson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic