the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

british toads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yollywolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: british toads
    Posted: 21 Dec 2004 at 7:43pm

i have a toad and i dont know whether it is supposed to feed during semi hibernation also should it be kept in a wet,damp, or dry enviroment.

Edited by yollywolly
green_toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2004 at 8:17pm

hi, 

what type of toad?  what temp is it being kept at?

seeing as this is a wildlife site you might want to post your question on another forum.  You could try:  http://talkto.thefrog.org

Having just read the title of your post I assume it's a common toad?  if so AJfr0ggy would be the person to ask, as I think I'm correct in thinking that he has raised them in captivity.  He posts on here and "talk to the frog".

Edited by green_toad
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2004 at 12:21pm

Hi yollywolly,

Assuming your refering to Bufo bufo the UK common toad, they are very tolerant of conditions in captivity. You can keep their enclosure dry with a deep water dish that they can emerse themselves in, or you can go for a more natural set-up with damp moss and a water dish. Either way they then have the choice if they want to sit in water or in dry areas. I keep mine with dry moss they can hide in and they have a deep water bowl they can sit in if they want to.

Offer food if the toad is active and moving around (at night), if it is kept indoors it is unlikely to  hibernate. I feed mine a little less in the winter than the summer but do still offer food to them.

green_toad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green_toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2004 at 12:50pm

I'm glad that someone has answered.  This is basically what I wanted to say but lacked the confidence to do so. 

I would also like to add that if you are using crickets as feeders then any that are uneaten should be removed from the viv or some food placed in there for the crickets.  A hungry cricket can be a vicious b*****d.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2004 at 1:23pm
I agree with that green-toad, if you feed crickets (which is mostly what I feed my toads on), put some salad in the enclosure for the crickets to eat, else they might start to nibble at your toad.
AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2004 at 6:18pm

If youre keeping it outside, it may not want to eat much at this time of year.

If its outside, you need to give it somewhere to hide, maybe a vary deep layer of leafmould or moss. If you feed it, feed vwery few, as even with food a viv full of crickets can stress and annoy a toad. make sure its nice and fat to survive the winter

If youre keeping it indoors, it may be a little confused, but should eat quite alot. A water bowl is essential fo happy toads, they will sit and soak in it, and if youre lucky, use it as a toilet.

AJfr0ggy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic