the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bizarre..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bizarre..
    Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 3:43pm
These pics were  taken by the running track at Regents Park, London today.  I was in search of the feral Aesculapian snakes but instead I found this big, dead lizard next to the track. Closeby was a piece of sacking which might have been used to dump it, but I don't know (lizard in foreground in front of running track in second pic).  I reckon it's a bearded dragon, but whether from the Zoo or just coincidence who knows ?

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 3:45pm
Wow - only just seen Lucy's photo of a bearded dragon in the Photo section - there's a coincidence.  Hope it's not your beardie, Lucy !
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 4:16pm

Thousands upon thousands of these are sold every year.  Bet someone either had an escape or dumped a dead one where it would attract attention. I admit I did the same with an Emporer Scorpions body in the local mall when I was a teen

"England Expects"
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 9:10pm
Did you find any Aesculapians Will? - I suspect its a bit late in the year for them now.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 9:11pm
Jonathan is right, Bearded dragons, along with leopard geckoes are probably the most widely kept lizard species in the country.
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:39pm

In reply to Steve - no, I didn't, but in 2007 I saw one on Sept 21st and in 2008 I had one on Sept 30th, both around 21 deg C.  In London yesterday it was up to 23 deg, so I thought I was in with a chance.  However this year has been poor for spotting them, I have only recorded 3 new individuals, and the last sighting was in June.  Given that I work a few miles from the Zoo and that I have a season ticket, I guess I've paid around ten visits since then and seen no sign of snakes, even in the core areas.  There are several possible reasons: a) Aesculapians are fiendishly hard to spot, b) someone from outside the Zoo has collected them c) the Zoo has decided to collect them and do something with the 'problem'...  conspiracy theorists may select option 3 !

I have managed to procure the loan of a thermal imaging camera and will use it on the banks of the Canal next spring to see if it can pick up the heat signal from a basking terrestrial / arboreal snake.

kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 8:48pm
I had a walk along the canal this summer and although I did not see any snakes, I did see a few hoppers for rat  poison over the fence in the zoo grounds. A doped up poisoned rat would make an easy but deadly meal.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:17pm
Good point Kevin; all I can say is that those rat traps have been around for several years and I can't imagine they'd impact so heavily on all the snakes within a short space of time, although the odd animal might well succumb to a dodgy meal
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 11:22pm
I should imagine that it would affect quite alot of the rodent population in that immediate area.  And thus the reps that feed upon them
"England Expects"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic