the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Website and Technical > Web forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big tadpoles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big tadpoles
    Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 11:13am
Hi,

Many years ago, when on a footpath gang, we came across a large pond in a country estate.  I could see it was full of rubbish, also there were tadpoles coming up for air, but these were very large.  I would say about 10mm bodies.
I got permission from the estate to clear out the pond, so we fixed up a boat, and dredged it.  The estate provided two large trailers which we filled, with bags and metal, and took it to the scrap yard where we earned a few bob for our troubles.
What puzzled me was the size of the tadpoles!  Was it because of fertilizer bags or just a large type of amphibian?  Anyone the answer please?

Camerart.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 9:03am
Large common frog tadpoles can have bodies up to 15mm, so I think 10mm is within range, especially in rather shaded woodland ponds where they may go on growing for longer and metamorphose later in summer than those in open, shallow ponds.  Of course there's no reason why it couldn't have been some kind of exotic species, marsh frog, midwife toad etc depending on the part of the country concerned, but adopting the principle of Occam's razor - ie go for the simplest explanation where possible - I'd go for well developed common frog, Rana temporaria.
Camerart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 9:18am
Hi W,

I've never seen such large ones.  I'll have to check what develops, but I don't live near there any more.

This pond is not far from where midwife toads were introduced, but I thought they were small?

Thanks, C.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:06pm
Hi C - adults are small, but their taddies can be big, so newly metamorphosed toadlets can measure 25mm!
Cheers, W
Camerart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camerart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 9:25am
Hi W,
Updated! thanks.

C.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic