the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

big leeches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: big leeches
    Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:24am
Can anyone ID these leeches for me please ?  seen in the Lake District a few weeks ago, indulging in a feeding / mating frenzy actually outside the water on the muddy bank of the pond.  About 12cm long when extended, around 6cm normally.  I'm thinking probably horse leech, but never seen ones quite so big and so well marked.  Cheers, Will

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 10:27am
I can offer no help sorry Will but they look like those graboid things from the film Tremors to me.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 12:07pm
I'm no expert on leeches but they look like horse leeches. Some of the ponds near here have very high populations and doing a torchlight survey for newts you just find large numbers of leeches swimming across the water at the surface.
Only the other week we were discussing finding horse leeches in the evening out in wet grass near ponds and streams obviously moving some distance from the water.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 1:11pm
Cheers Guys; I'll go for graboid horse leeches !
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 1:27pm

Considering we spent so much time in the summer swimming in Lake Windermere as kids I only saw one leech and that attached to a friend's leg. It was the size of these mentioned here. I think I've mentioned here before though how they would get in amongst our minnows which we stored in a large biscuit tin full of small holes in the lake for us to return to the next day to fish with. Sometimes the minnows (all of them) had been sucked empty by leeches. Grim.

In my tiny East Devon pond I have them, but I don't know how many. The first one I saw swim across the pond and recently when scooping duckweed out and putting it on the pond edge one immediately freed itself of the weed and shot back into the pond. I was amazed at how quickly it got back in. It was a smaller leech than those here.

Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 2:28pm
I think leeches are now protected suckers and you aint allowed to stub your fags out on them if they get you otherwise you will be commiting two offences cruelty to leeches and smoking in public
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 2:55pm
Horse leeches. Harmless little critters that simply swallow
soft bodied prey whole. Not blood suckers. They LOVE
earthworms...
Lee Fairclough
-LAF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 3:00pm
It's worth noting that if a leech attaches itself to you in
this country it's the medicinal leech, Hirudo
medicinalis
, which is now very rare in the UK, is a BAP
list species and is well worth submitting a recording for
to the county recorders. Only a few populations are known
to be left but there may well be many others that were
previously unknown.
Lee Fairclough
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2009 at 5:03pm
Cheers Lee

I never knew they could get so big - pity the poor tadpoles which were in the pond !  Am I right that a species of leech similar in size to the medicinal leech has been found in the Lake District ? seem to remember reading this somewhere.
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 10:11pm
Can Leeches Fly ?
That's the topic on Jeremy Biggs (Director of Research at Pond Conservation) Garden Pond Blog, with his posting today (17 July) about how two horse leeches have suddenly turned up in his newly created wildlife pond. Contacting an expert, he confirms what Lee says above that they love earthworms and leave the water to hunt for them. Read about it on http://thegardenpondblog.org.uk/
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic