the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better Late than Never

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better Late than Never
    Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 5:08pm

Better Late than Never

Ok slightly long post

I was going to post this just before the site went down, so let me begin.

We have a small pond in the garden, it’s a curved triangular shape (see sketch) only about 4ft (1200mm) at its widest/longish part. After reading about how people were beginning to see frogs in early February, I thought I’ll keep an eye out, so every night whilst letting the dog out I checked the pond even with a torch for signs of frog activity. No Nah nada zilch not a sign of our little friends this went on until mid march

So thinking that the bad weather had killed them (previous year had only seen 6 frogs in the pond) and this was going to be a blank year for frogs. I then decided to remove the reeds that were overtaking the pond (see sketch)

Right lets pull a few out at a time, but no they all moved as one, and were too heavy to lift out in one lump, off to get the secateurs, but the roots were so tightly interwoven that it was extremely hard going, ok off to get a pad saw!! Ha haa now we’re cooking. After a short time I found the original pot that the reeds came in, totally enclosed in roots

Getting on to about half way through the mass of roots

(Bear in mind this mass of roots was about 15”/18” cubed!!) Out of the corner of my eye I noticed some movement underneath the roots I was about to cut into, so started pulling the roots apart, low and behold a frog how it got in to almost the centre of the root ball I’ll never know?

After that I went a bit more slowly just in case, just as well found another 2 frogs nearer the top. Glad to say a couple of weeks after the removal of the reeds, we had frogspawn

Which has now hatched, then just on 18/4/11 had some more frogspawn which seems quite late.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:34pm
thanks for posting andy.
enjoyable read.

where are you? all the frogs in my area (glos) bred weeks ago.

better late than never for you though eh?

ben
AndyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 10:48am
Originally posted by ben rigsby ben rigsby wrote:

thanks for posting andy.
enjoyable read.

where are you? all the frogs in my area (glos) bred weeks ago.

better late than never for you though eh?

ben

Hi ben, that's why I thought the bad weather had killed all the frogs,
because I'm down in Sunny SurreyBig smile well on the Surrey/Hants border and last year the frogs had spawned by mid february
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 6:24pm
Spotted the first froglet in my pond today, 49 days after the first spawn was laid.
Since it had absolutely no signs of a tail, it may have emerged sub-6 weeks.

Edited by lalchitri - 05 May 2011 at 6:24pm
Reformed Teetotaller
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:15pm
That's phenomenal - shape of things to come?  used to be early June at the earliest in my neck of the woods around London, and 10-12 weeks from hatching.
lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by will will wrote:

That's phenomenal - shape of things to come?  used to be early June at the earliest in my neck of the woods around London, and 10-12 weeks from hatching.

I was also gobsmacked.
There were two possible other explanations I could think of and rule out.
Overwintering tadpole - my liner tore in the winter so I emptied everything out and started from scratch after 4 years.
One of the late froglets from last year returning - way too small at less than thumbnail size.

Must be the hottest London April since records began that bought this about, else 2.5 months is usual for the first non-tail froglet.
Reformed Teetotaller
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic