the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bearded Dragon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arataon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bearded Dragon
    Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:07pm
Hi, not sure if this is the place, but these last 4 weeks, my beardie (3 yrs) has suddenly not been eating very well. I can feed her dandelion leaves and the odd locust, but she should be eating 5 locusts every other day. I thought that it may  be down to the sudden weather change? Her tank is warm and nothing has changed.

Regards,

Cobain
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 1:43am
Hi Cobain,

Pet stuff should really be in the off-topic forum, as the main forums are dedicated to reptiles and amphibians in the wild. (mostly)

Try a pet related forum such as RFUK which is very active. I'm sure someone can help there, it's usually best to get advice from a few people who are use to keeping the same animals.

arataon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arataon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 6:52am
OK, will do, thanks! ;-)
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 8:29am
not knowing where your dragons origin is from ( is it uk captive bred? )but in the wild they also eat other small reptiles perhaps half a doz common lizards might perk it up.. only joking keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 9:40pm
A beardie will be captive bred for sure Keith. Must say that by far the most common reason I saw back in my vet nurse days for a pet reptile to go off it's food was it was being overfed. They'll be plenty of keepers though over on RFUK who have tons of experience with them and will know if it's just a mood thing or something that needs to be sorted out.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2010 at 11:47pm
hi,
If you've been feeding the beardie on mealworms they can become clogged up and go off their food. Check that she is defecating reguarly

Cheers,
Al
O-> O+>
arataon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arataon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:57am
Hi, I feed her adult locusts. Thats another thing I forgot to add; she hasn't been defecating. I put her in the bath the day before last and she didn't do anything. She usually does, its quite worrying.

Thanks,

Cobain
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:43am
Ok, They can often get clogged up with insect parts, this may be your problem.
Sorry, I don't know how you'd deal with this as i've never had the problem myself.
Like Gemma said RFUK will probably be the best place for an answer
All the best,
Al
O-> O+>
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:16pm
If your getting really worried and RFUK can't get you
sorted out, best bet is to take the beardie to a good
reptile vet Cobain. Sounds like Al probably nailed it and
she's got clogged up, not sure either what you could do,
perhaps just a case of giving something by mouth to get her
going again, but either way if it's more than a few days
it's time to visit the vet.
arataon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arataon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:31pm
Yeah, I have posted something on RFUK, just waiting for a reply. The only problem is that my nearest reptile vet is about 30miles away. The vet near me and the vet for my dog don't go near reptiles which is annoying. I will try putting her in the bath again tomorrow (this usually makes her poo) and go from there. Thanks for your reply!

Cobain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic