the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

basker on sleeper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: basker on sleeper
    Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 4:47pm
Just back from the annual week's pilgrimage to Dorset, with some great weather for reptile watching (sun and cloud, 18-19 deg).  The highlight was this small gravid female smooth snake found basking in the open on a railway sleeper in Purbeck.  I had read about this behaviour from Tony but never seen it myself - made my holiday !

arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 3:08pm

Nice pics Will, what else did you see whilst you were down there?

Mark

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 5:02pm
Hi Mark

Managed all 6 at Studland including a small smooth snake traversing from one patch of heather to the next.  I'll post some more pics soon

Cheers

Will
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 5:03pm
good pics keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 6:05pm
cant stop looking at these pics,going to have to try and persuade one of you nice people to show me some of your wonderfull smooth snakes next year.Thanks for the pics Will.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 6:17pm
Thanks Keith / Dave - I was lucky with this smoothy Dave; generally I find them very hard to spot in the open, especially fully exposed like this one.  You'd think a buzzard / kestrel etc would pick them off with no trouble.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 11:01pm
Hi Tony

Fantastic to have such intimate knowledge Tony - I feel privileged to have spotted her.  Nice to know she's about to produce a new litter of young ones !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic