the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

baby snakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 3:11pm
I was expecting a late season because of the weather.  I was wrong it seems.  Plenty of young berus up by me in South Staffs.  These were taken last week...

&

"England Expects"
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 5:01pm
well spotted!  I'd assumed they'd be late too, but I guess I'd better get looking in some of my local sites now.
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 9:56pm
It would seem there are plenty of gravid females out in the open and just desperate to gain heat too.  I'm so glad that things aren't that delayed.  I would assume that what they lacked in sun, they made up for in nutrition.

"England Expects"
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 12:57pm
We saw a very gravid female at Fingeringhoe Wick last Friday, quite sluggish in the overcast but she seemed very determined to get any heat she could.

Love the baby adder pictures, so cute but very often very feisty with it.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 2:54pm
Sadly to say this is my worst year ever for snakes reason being have not been out that much, and hoping to get to Purbeck before the cold sets and cop a few CA and some adders to make up for it all .keith

Edited by AGILIS - 27 Aug 2012 at 2:58pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:30pm
Know how you feel Keith! I've hardly been on a heath. If I lived next to one I might have but with a 15 min drive you need to feel the weather will hold up and then on good days you find you've got something else on, and so the summer passes.
I hope you do get to Purbeck before the season ends, so lovely out there.
Suz
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:36pm
I think we are all the same.  The weather has been awful and quite depressing from a ophiologists/herpetologists POV.

Cold, wet and windy today.  Gravid females desperate to warm up...

Edited by Jonathan - 27 Aug 2012 at 9:37pm
"England Expects"
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 9:45pm
Nice pix Jonathan.
Never heard of an ophiologist so had to look it up. You learn something new all the time...LOL
Suz
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:15pm
Hehe, it's just a term for us herpetologists that are blinkered.
"England Expects"
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 2:14pm
Well in spite of a population of 8 million plus humans, many of whom would like to see adders removed from Greater London, they still persist.  This neo seen today represents a small unsung conservation success in the 21st century.  Good luck to it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic