the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baby grass snake or adder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:41am

Hi Will, we think its a paradise anyway.  It's a little unkempt around the edges, but the wildlife don't seem to mind.  At the moment one of the more interesting things are my 3 'bug boxes' which I put up this summer and have had a constantly shifting set of visiting inverts. all summer - they are on my shed and when we drink our morning coffee outdoors they are only a few meters away and have been very interesting to watch.  The reptiles and amphibians like all the ponds, ditches, purposefully left wood piles, manure/compost heaps and have taken a real shine to our poly-tunnels I think for the warmth.

When you look at the two photos on this thread, yours and mine it seems amazing that they are the same species - it just goes to show that you can't always make clear cut statements about the colour of some animals. 
JOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 10:36am
I was reminded of this picture of a grass snake that I took many years ago on the same piece of land - it was under a bit of corrugated iron and was an absolute corker of a snake

Gemma, I've spotted your comments about Danbury common that's only about 7 miles from me!
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 12:11pm
JOC

Your picture above is another fine example of a grass snake appearing very dark before skin sloughing. The clue is the blue eye, caused by fluid building up under the scale that covers the eye.

I'm very local in Maldon and the herp county recorder for Essex, if a rather inactive one. Your lizards will be common lizards (viviparous lizards). 

Typically with these things I just disposed of hundreds of survey felts due to having no interest in anyone having anything surveyed locally other than for planning permission (which I charge for but they want it done for free lol).

But if you want me to do a walk over in the spring and record the species be more than happy to do so.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 12:11pm
Will, with you now, lovely snake and beautiful shot as always. Wink
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 6:28pm
@JOC - top stuff, I'd love a wildlife garden / nature reserve like yours!Big smile

@Gemma - thanks, much appreciated!Big smile
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 6:26am
Natrix austriaca
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:59am
Hi JOC, not sure if you got my email that I am just at the other end of the village.

I remembered that you had some concern about adders in the first post. We are on London Clay, the adders in Essex are only associated with the sea wall and outcrops of more sandy soils such as at Danbury. So nearest records are Maylandsea.

I have never once seen an adder locally and really would not expect to. 

This does not explain the horse being bitten, was it actually in the village? I know many cases where dog and horse bites are attributed to adders in areas where they do not occur, so there is likely some other culprit.

In any case if you have further concerns I would be happy to help out. I would be fascinated if adders do occur in the village, it would be quite an amazing find. Though I think the odds are heavily against it.
JOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:48am
Hi GemmaJF
Yes, I did send a reply to the message and sent a tel. number.  I also think, given our stodgy London clay that adders are unlikely (though we are not so far from the sea wall areas in a straight line) that adders are unlikely.  I know they prefer sandy environments.  The incident with the horse that I was aware of happened a few years ago - it was the premises next to ours whose land abuts ours, but I think they would technically be in the next village since we are the last house in our parish boundary.  The report only comes 2nd hand, but it is my understanding that a vet treated the horse next door for an adder bite.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 6:35am
Usual response any unknown flea bite is put down to adders as it the only snake name they use to cunjour up the   national kill a snake a day hysteria in places like Essex or Waltham forests s diminishing green belt areas
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic