the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

attacks on frogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airlines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: attacks on frogs
    Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 9:49am
This morning I found three adult frogs dead on the lawn (in different areas) near to our larger pond. They appear to have been killed by a blow to the head with a single puncture wound visible on two of them. There has been no attempt to eat the frogs. There have been similar attacks throughout the summer but involving single as opposed to multiple victims. Earlier in the year I have seen our blackbirds attacking this years juvenile frogs. Can anyone shed any light on this and suggest the likely culprit and anything we can to do to prevent a recurrence of this behaviour?
alex
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 11:48am

It is likely that a domestic cat is causing the deaths. Though could be a fox or dog. I have seen similar fatalities characterised by puncture wounds at a pond frequented by a large number of dog walkers.

There are devices that use high pitch sound inaudible to humans for keeping domestic pets away from gardens, these have proven effective at protecting amphibians.

AJfr0ggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJfr0ggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2003 at 6:28pm

Those things give me headaches, i can just slightly hear them!

Im not sure on other ways to protect them, maybe if you provide more cover for the frogs.

AJfr0ggy

dave n dogs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave n dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2004 at 12:29pm

Hiya airlines,

I reside in a terraced area of town, lots of cats, dogs, amphibians.  My initial thoughts on your fatalities would be those blackbirds.  They do take froglets.

Several people have brought injured frogs to my door, most of wich are the result of cats.  Can you post again, more info on the physical size of said frogs and any other visible injury?

with sympathy

dave n dogs

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2008 at 8:24am
Oh no! I never knew pussy cats played with frogs! I've seen plenty of cats around when the frogs and toads are migrating but I ain't never seen one attack one. I hope I don't ever too.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2008 at 11:53am
Every night I do a 'toad patrol' around the garden to see what's moving. Our cat always comes along with me, and its gotten to the ridiculous point where the cat will come in to get me if she sees a frog in the garden !

She's never harmed an amphibian (but then she is the most useless feline hunter on the planet!). She's only interested in some of the smaller frogs, which she sometimes taps lightly to see them jump.

I'm under no illusions and realise that other cats would readily attack amphibians.

"Wooster" - I use this picture a lot when talking about the domestic cat as a predator. She was actually meowing with excitement because she'd seen I was in the garden and was running over to greet me
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 6:45am
If that were my pussy I wouldn't be able to resist trimming the sticky-out fur on top of her ears.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2008 at 8:04am
Must.........resist...........Any...........Mrs Slocombe-style...........comments  
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 8:46am

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

Baby sue you are hilarious, love you lots
Hey thatÆs your second declaration of your love towards me! Yay! YouÆve got a nice head.

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

Has anyone thought about magpies re those dead frogs??

IÆve seen a magpie take interest in a road-kill toad - but it didnÆt peck at it, it picked it up in itÆs beak and flew away with it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic