the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At the bottom of the garden...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nj_allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At the bottom of the garden...
    Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 10:13am

Hi. Can anyone help identify the attached. I fould this under a log at the bottom of my garden. I say it's a newt, my wife says it's a lizard, but it doesn't look like any of the ones on the identification page. Only ever seen it under the log. the woodlice in the photo should help scale it. There were two, but one hasn't been seen for a few days.

Many thanks,

Neil.

Danial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 1:28pm
Neil,

Its a newt either Smooth or Palmate. Lizards have obvious scales and a more pointed snout/head, while newts have no scales and a more rounded head.

Hope that helps, and if you want to find out more then have a look at the ID pages.

Danial
Consultant Ecologist and Amphibians Officer of Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group
www.surrey-arg.org.uk

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 1:38pm
Yep. smooth or palmate newt. They look very different whilst in the terrestrial stage (as the one in the picture is) compared to most pics of them which tend to be taken during the aquatic stage.
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 1:47pm

nice find.

looks like a smooth newt to me.

tim

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 5:01am
The vertebral stripe starts quite high up on the head and is more heavily pigmented at the anterior end so it looks more like a smooth newt
Local Authority Ecologist
nj_allen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nj_allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 5:09am

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses, I enjoyed telling my wife she was wrong! They seem very different in the terrestrial stage than the aquatic, I think that is why I didn't recognise it.

Thanks again,

Neil.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 8:39am

matt or anyone else

i don't suppose you have a summary of this do you.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/amre/1992/000000 13/00000001/art00002

i'd be very interested to see it if you do.

cheers

tim

Matt Harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 9:23am
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

matt or anyone else

i don't suppose you have a summary of this do you.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/brill/amre/1992/000000 13/00000001/art00002

i'd be very interested to see it if you do.

cheers

tim

Sorry I don't, but I'm sure Richard Griffiths will be happy to send you a re-print or photocopy. He's at University of Kent, Canterbury now, not the address on the article.
Local Authority Ecologist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 11:06am

cheers matt

i've emailed them.

tim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 2:12pm

please remember that this is obviously someone elses work not mine

apparently the method holds up into sub-adulthood but as the dorsal stripe diminishes over time it is not effective for sexually mature adults.

67 little efts gave their lives for this experiment so i hope the information is helpful to someone.

tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic