the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are these adders mating?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Ophiuchus Ophiuchus wrote:

ps i was looking at your vids on YouTube, you have some fantastic footage!

Cheers for that, youve seen my adder videos thenEmbarrassed.

I will probably start a thread soon enough, to show them offWink.
Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:09am
yeah i was just looking for more adder videos and i recognized your name! I wish my video was as clear as that, well i can get good video but for that clarity i would have to be up close, and we didnt want to get to close so we didn't disturb them.  so i had to use zoom, it was still in the optical zoom range, not digital zoom but as you can see it does detract from the quality. I'm guessing you had zoom on yours but must be a better camera which can zoom but still keep fine detail.

Ophiuchus *~*the serpent bearer*~*
Testudo Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Testudo Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Ophiuchus Ophiuchus wrote:

yeah i was just looking for more adder videos and i recognized your name! I wish my video was as clear as that, well i can get good video but for that clarity i would have to be up close, and we didnt want to get to close so we didn't disturb them.  so i had to use zoom, it was still in the optical zoom range, not digital zoom but as you can see it does detract from the quality. I'm guessing you had zoom on yours but must be a better camera which can zoom but still keep fine detail.

My camera is nothing special, its not a DSLR, its a Panasonic FZ45 (super zoom bridge camera). It does have a good zoom lens on it though, its 24X optical zoom(but on certain settings) it goes to 32X optical zoom. I also use my older PanasonicFZ28, which is great for macro photos.

It all depends on the situation/land lay out, on just how close you can get to these courting/mating adders. Sometimes its not possible to sneak up close to them, whilst other times, you would be surprised how close you can get. For those videos of mine, I was quite close(approx. 4 feet/120cms distance).

Note- Always show caution, when photographing/filming adders. Not just for the adders sake, but for your own safety too.
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:41pm
Hi, saw these adders mating in Essex.
I noticed that the tips of their tails were twitching all the time, it was really amazing to see

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic