the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Are these adders mating?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are these adders mating?
    Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 3:16am
Yesterday, for over an hour I was observing some interesting activity with 3 adders, 2 males and 1 female. I was stood a distance away quite happy to watch them through binoculars, in fact this qualifies as my best adder sighting because i was able to observe them and how they interact with each other, so much better than seeing a quick glimpse of a tail disappearing into the undergrowth!

I think i may have seen my first adder mating/courtship. but as i have never really observed this behavior before i do not know much, well i dont know anything about how or when adders breed, i think slow worms breed around this time so maybe adders do to.

What i observed was the female and 2 males spend a bit of time all coiled up together then they split up the female moving of not to far away and one of the males following her, they then spent some time together coiling and entwining whislt the other male watched from a distance.

I called him the lonesome male! but then i was surprised to see both the female and male return back to the other male for a while then she left them again and the males stayed together for a bit, they seemed to be tolerant of each other, no adder dance, i really thought i was going to see that happen! one of the males was doing a funny head shaking/bopping thing, cant really describe it that well, then one of the males went of again to the female im not sure if it was the same one as both males had similar markings, I'm not to good at identifying them by the markings,  do males take turns with the female.

I was also interested in that they were still visible when the sky became quite overcast, with a sudden hail shower and it was actually quite chilly in the wind they did go more into cover when the hail came but i could still see them. I took so many photos and none are excellent as i said i was stood a distance away, that's one of the only times i really wished i had a dslr with a great big zoom lens, i would have got some cracking shots then, but the zoom lens for my compact camera is not that powerful. it is hard selecting the best photos but here are a few.

Sorry for the photo bombardment but I'm really excited to have seen this and hope you will enjoy the pics!
But what have i witnessed? is this really adders mating or just typical adder behavior that i just have not observed before?

Ophiuchus *~*the serpent bearer*~*
Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 3:38am
Ok, I have just been reading up and it seems its to early for mating, most sites i see say it happen between april and may, I guess the ones i saw are just checking each other out but worth keeping an eye in that area  next month, may get to see the adder dance yet!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 5:01pm
great observations; a reward for your patience and desire not to get so close that the animals' behaviour is disturbed.  I'd agree that it seems early for mating activity, given that males normally emerge before females and need to lie out to come into reproductive condition.  However, the jerking motions of the head do sound like the sort of behaviour associated with mating.  None of your males has shed, but I have also seen mating and the dance of the adders in individuals as yet unshed (though they shed their skin minutes after this behaviour in one case).  My guess is that it was a prelude of some more intense activity to come in a couple of weeks' time.

Cheers

Will
Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 8:01pm
Heh, they were just checking each other out, I shall be keeping a close eye on therm over the next few weeks then, i may yet get to see the adder dance.
The thing that worries me is they are fairly close to a path  on public land, often dog walkers walk past and of course they let their dogs run around sniffing in all the vegetation. I love dogs to and of course the dog walker have the right to walk their but i just wish they would keep them on a lead when they are walking past that area.  Trouble is if you let them know there are snakes there i fear some people may have the feelings of worry of their dogs or kids getting bitten so they might even go out and try and kill the adders,  there are people like that.
There were a few people around that day and i was rather cheeky and just told them there was some wildlife i was taking photos of and would they mind so much as to walk round the other side, actually it was nice that they obliged me and did not seem to take offense. I was also happy they didn't actually ask me what i was watching. But i cant be up there all the time to watch out for the adders i really do hope they dont get disturbed or injured. I think this may be my best chance of ever witnessing breeding and the adder dance, it would be quite a thing to observe that and what makes it better for me its less than a 10 minute cycle ride away!

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
I agree with Will this is a prelude to mating activity. The head bobbing of the male is typical of mating behaviour, as is twitching/jerking of the entire body, but if it was all real you would have seen combat for sure! I was witnessing courtship behaviour in male common lizards this year almost on the day they came out of hibernation but it was too early for the females to be responsive.

Now you know what you are looking out for you'll soon see the whole show. Your tactic is the right one, get close and sit quietly but not too close. If you find a male doing all the twitching, bobbing and stuff just sit down and wait. Even if you can't see a female she is there somewhere very nearby (it's not unusual for them to partly or totally hidden). In a short time you'll see another male come along and for a few seconds all hell will break out. Wink

Thanks for reporting your observations, they remind me I really need to get out there some time this week. Thumbs Up
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 6:56pm
This is a good spot, I haven't seen any Adders this year!

R
RobV
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:42pm
First mating pair from London today:

Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:32pm
Me and a friend (Arvensis) saw quite a few Adders today, I saw 8 but missed 2 that Mark saw, still I'm happy enough with my 8! 4 of those were melanistics and one of the melanistics was coiled up with a large female, there was another melanistic just a  few feet away. we were unsure if the melanistic and female were mating or had just mated.

Edited by Ophiuchus - 10 Apr 2012 at 8:33pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:53pm
great pic - looks like the female has attracted a living shadow!
Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 12:20am
you know what,  that's exactly what i thought when i first saw them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic