the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another eg of mis-management ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Hi Suzy, there is only so much negativity a person can put up with. On the one hand you have NE saying my clients can not take a soil sample without mitigating the whole site, on the other you have them turning a blind eye to the trashing of key reptile sites by conservationists. It is no wonder that you then have developers who use rubbish consultants who will state for a few pounds that there is nothing on the site.

In the end I guess I've just got to an age where none of it seems worth getting involved with anymore.

Sorry to hear that Gemma.

I do understand though and I hate it when what you described happens, and it makes me feel sick.
Take care and good luck

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Edited by sussexecology - 03 Jun 2012 at 11:44pm
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 9:26am
Gemma,

Would you be willing to show me a reptile site damaged by bad management?

With thanks,

Richard
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

In the end I guess I've just got to an age where none of it seems worth getting involved with anymore.

I can totally understand where you're coming from Gemma. You've seen this kind of thing happen over and over again for many years. I've only been surveying for a few years and I've now completely lost heart. I used to think that putting all the hours into doing voluntary survey work was a worthwhile cause. Now I realize that it doesn't matter how many partially protected reptiles or amphibians have been recorded on a site if the developers have deep pockets then anything can be gotten around. At the most it seems that all they have to do is pay someone to remove the wildlife standing in their way. At the least they just strim and bulldoze the whole site and make sure that there aren't any carcasses left laying around to be used as evidence against them.

And it seems that the law is powerless to prevent such actions. Or those in power refuse to use the existing laws to prosecute many organisations responsible for wiping out entire populations of herps on some sites. And yet if I want to go out and photograph a sand lizard without a licence I risk prosecution.

Jason
Neil Phillips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Phillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 11:54pm
We live in a country (well those of us in England anyway) where a species as iconic as the Hen Harrier has been allowed to go extinct as a breeding species.  What chance is there for a bunch of unattractive (as far as many are concerned) scaly and slimy creatures 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic