the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Method & Management
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another eg of mis-management ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another eg of mis-management ??
    Posted: 30 May 2012 at 8:57pm

Oh dear............... another example of mis-management of advice

Phase 1 survey was done by a well known consultancy and they said that the site had a low potential for reptiles and suggesting clearing the vegetation before the client does any construction work

we've been to the site to do follow up survey work and the habitat is high potential for reptiles, and it is very close to the construction work zone.

this puts us in a difficult position, because the client has been told one thing by the first consultancy that is not strictly speaking legal, and is incorrect. Client is now debating whether we need to do reptile surveys - but why do so many consultancies recommend that the site should be stripped and cleared of vegetation before clients do any construction work without doing any survey work..... surely this is madness again and is perhaps another example of mis-management (in relation to Altherthorpe and conservation groups)......

it is a shame because the consultant who did the phase 1 survey doesn't know much reptiles obviously. Our Reptile Ecologist is currently consulting with the client and giving them the right advice, but this is the sort of thing that drives all of us round the bend - because it's us who have to pick up the pieces and try and get the client  to understand what is correct.

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:45pm
They say it should be stripped of vegetation because it will cover up the fact they are rubbish and didn't do the proper surveys. Obvious isn't it?

Glad I'm well out of it all. The last walk over I did I recommended reptile, GCN and mammal surveys. Not only was the habitat ideal for reptiles, terrestrial GCN and bats but I had records from within 50m or protected species.

You know what happened? The client paid someone £50 to say there was nothing there.

Nothing I can do about it - so with that I have left consultancy work for good. Until NE and the planning authorities get their acts together the whole thing will remain a complete lottery.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 7:21pm
Like most of us on this forum reading all these cases of mismanagement is depressing.
I've said it before, and I stick by it, that squillions will be thrown at reptile conservation in the future because for some unknown reasons they will have become rare! Those responsible for what is happening nationwide in the name of conservation should hang their heads in shame, but there is always an excuse and so it goes on.
On a personal note Gemma I am sorry to hear you've thrown the towel in.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 1:30am
Hi Suzy, there is only so much negativity a person can put up with. On the one hand you have NE saying my clients can not take a soil sample without mitigating the whole site, on the other you have them turning a blind eye to the trashing of key reptile sites by conservationists. It is no wonder that you then have developers who use rubbish consultants who will state for a few pounds that there is nothing on the site.

In the end I guess I've just got to an age where none of it seems worth getting involved with anymore.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 6:57am
Its the old Bismark quotation theory
Guns before butter ..now its- Development before wildlife.
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 3:51pm
Hermann Goring - "Guns will make us powerful, butter will only make us fat"

Natural England - "Wildlife will only enrich our lives, but development will make us RICH"

Edited by GemmaJF - 03 Jun 2012 at 3:51pm
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:44pm
Hurrah Die Butter ist Alle   ,,,,,,,,I new it was one of the bastards Gemma got the wrong one but Bismark quoted laws ar like sausages, its best not to see them being made. lol keith

Edited by AGILIS - 03 Jun 2012 at 5:53pm
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 6:24pm
Liebe dieses Zitat Keith Thumbs Up
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:02pm
I love a beer before I quote Gemma
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:09pm
Here you go, I guess you like your beer cold Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic