the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

an experiment...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: an experiment...
    Posted: 09 May 2009 at 3:52pm
Decided to do a sort of experiment today; nice weather for surveying - 16 deg C and sunny, so I went back to one of my favourite heathland sites and set myself the challenge of spending 5hrs surveying one (productive) Ha of sand lizard habitat to see what I could find.  In brief:

the 'common' lizards were the sandies - I saw 44 in total (being careful not to re-count individuals given that I was re-walking the same transects within the Ha during the 5 hrs).  Most were males (about 30, with 10 females and 4 babies from last year, juvs).  Makes you wish that there was more heathland left, given the densities of sandies in the right habitat.  Males and females were not interacting, some females clearly gravid already.  Only 2 loose 'pairs' seen along the same stretch of heather.

Also saw 3 viviparous lizards and 1 adder - all in the wetter habitat at the base of the slope within the survey area, and one grass snake in the dry heather, more surprisingly.  The sandies could be found in the humid places as well as the more dry heath.

One of the males was an unusual turquoise colour, see pic alongside a more normal one for comparison.

Also saw one male sandy basking within 30cm of a male adder - would have made a nice pic but I disturbed the adder before I could take it.  Maybe luckily for the sand lizard !

Anyone familiar with the technique of repeated walks within a set area and a set time for reptile surveying ?  I know the usual methodology is to fix the transects and walk them once, rather than to fix a time and walk the same area again and again.  Anyway, I was surprised at just how much more abundant / visible the sand lizards were than any other reptiles.

Cheers

Will

Pics 'survey area' 'typical sand lizard' and 'turquoise lizard' below:

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 4:19am
Hi Will,

DICE are looking at time-driven surveys for a 1km grid, supporting NARRS.

It's clearly a trade-off. 5 hrs on one hectare will yield more counts, but the area covered (say on a county basis) would be dramatically reduced, as survey 'hours' are a limited resource.

IMO It's 'horses for courses' and depends entirely on the objectives for the survey.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 6:22am
Thanks for the info Steve; I agree.  I guess it shows that with animals like sand lizards it's populations rather than numbers per se which counts 
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 5:31pm

How did you make sure you were not recounting
individuals which were already spotted? was that just
based on memory or did you photo id them in the field?

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 5:35pm
The abundance of sand lizards over the viviparous
lizards possibly backs up the idea that dry heathland
isn't that great a habitat for the widespread reptiles.

The influence of the timing of surveys would have
dramatic effects on the detectability of the different
species. The adder is more readily found in the late
winter and early spring - emergence and mating - once
this is over the animals are harder to find -

Do you think that population estimates on summer survey
data for adders is useful? Do summer counts provide an
accurate reflection of the relative population size?

J
mikebrown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 7:22pm

Hi Will

That is an an excellent result, more than we have managed to achieve in Merseyside in that amount of time with a group of observers in different places!

Nonetheless, it proves the value of walking round the same area several times. It is surprising how many extra lizards are recorded with this method. The problem is that the weather rarely remains suitable for a whole five hour period. It either becomes too hot or clouds over!

That turquoise male is really attractive!

Cheers

Mike

Mike Brown
Merseyside ARG
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 7:24pm
Some interesting views here John.

"backs up the idea that dry heathland isn't that great a habitat for the widespread reptiles. "

I wouldn't say that it isn't good habitat, but agree there are better habitats. It is true that when you have well-established colonies of Smooth snake or Sand lizard at a foci, they are the dominant species.

"The adder is more readily found in the late winter and early spring - emergence and mating - once this is over the animals are harder to find"

Our records suggest the opposite. When adders are concentrated at hibernacula sites, they (obviously) are more concentrated, hence the chance of finding them is less (unless you happen to stumble across such a site, where they are very obvious). A good field surveyor is more likely to come across adders once they have dispersed, as you get hits at hibernacula areas AND at migration areas (and in between).

"Do you think that population estimates on summer survey
data for adders is useful?"

Pop estimates - No (too complex)
Survey - Yes essential! - If we aim to protect adder sites, then clearly hibernacula areas are highest priority. Second highest (IMO) are the summer hunting grounds and the migration routes between hibernacula (plural) and these hunting grounds. I believe this interaction is how adders obtain genetic diversity, so in the long term, isolation to hibernation sites would reduce population fitness.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 2:49am

Thanks for your comments Mike; it only goes to show that your Merseyside lizards are much more thinly spread (even at foci) I guess, than Dorset lizards.  I was also lucky with the weather, which was ideal for the whole 5 hrs, not common as you say !

Jon - yes, I was careful not to re-count individuals and used photography whenever possible (long lens, no disturbance).  I agree also that reptile surveying is season-dependent for each species.  We all tend to focus on different species as the spring warms up.  Adders are perhaps similar to sand lizards in the importance of finding foci (eg hibernacula for adders, and core areas for sand lizards) at certain times of year.  I would agree with Steve that for population estimates concentrating on hibernacula at the start and end of the active season is best, but that establishing areas of summer occupancy and migration routes where applicable is also vital.

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 3:48am
I was thinking of the numerous ecological surveys which
proclaim that the snakes found within the survey are
only low or small in status when in fact I don't think
that you can make any assessment of the population
status from sightings in the summer months.

Hibernacula for adders are relatively easy to find when
considering the likely habitat they will use for this.

Adders are described as 'generalists' in terms of the
habitat they use - woodland, grassland, scrub, etc. The
snakes are not uniformly distributed within the
environment. In the spring they are in small areas of
the available habitat - which are 'foci' or their
overwintering habitats.

In the summer they are often widely distributed along
migration routes and within summer feeding grounds.

However studies have shown that adders will adapt to
their surroundings if their habitat is reduced.
Populations on road verges tend not to venture far from
the road verge. While on more natural habitats they move
many hundreds of metres to their foraging areas.

Just another side to this I once carried out a newt
survey last year when I surveyed a pond at 10pm - count
of adult newts were 29. We went out again at midnight
and the count was 63. I don't think that many people do
repeated surveys in the same night on newt surveys. i
suppose that the population assessment would be the same
a medium population lol

J
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 11:34pm

I think you are both right, Jon from the consultancy aspect where detection can be very low for adder unless 'foci' are targeted, Steve on a longer term survey without time constraints or covering a wider area of habitat than a potential development site.

Adder have a generally low population density, it takes time for them to intercept ACO and many consultancy based surveys just simply 'miss' the bulk of the population and so only detect presence at low numbers if at all. It isn't a good picture of the real situation. It takes far more effort than the usual 7 visits to achieve anything like a population estimate.

Steve with longer-term survey or more widespread targeting will see a completely different picture of adder populations. I certainly find the dispersal and the migration to the summer feeding grounds a great time for seeing adder, but particularly when I already know where to target my effort. That tends to mean there was a lot of 'down time' trudging around for days seeing nothing at all in past seasons until I stumbled across where everyone had got to!

Hence once you know an adder population(s) you can find animals at any time during the active season. If you don't know the population there isn't usually the time available in the world of consultancy in my opinion to really formulate a picture and check all suitable habitat over a wide off-site range.

For such work at a new site, I agree with Jon that I can't make an assessment just from summer sightings or un-targeted spring survey, in such cases I've relied on past knowledge to locate suitable 'foci' and likely important areas and base assessments for capture effort etc from that. So far I've not got it wrong, on two projects I detected adder presence on the extends of the site yet felt the works would not impact the adder populations and that is exactly how it turned out with not a single adder showing up during the mitigation works, yet I knew exactly where to find them each day just a few meters behind the exclusion fence. I guess that is the pay off for spending half my childhood working out where I did and didn't see adders.

Interestingly I now know of 4 populations where the summer feeding grounds and the hibernation area are within a few meters of each other. I agree therefore with Jon that they act as generalists, given suitable habitat, they don't actually migrate at all as they simply don't have to, though if needed they will and those habitats can be variable.

Edited by GemmaJF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic