the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amphibians and Fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arataon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amphibians and Fish
    Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:22am
Hi there,

I know that when you replace the water in a fish tank or frog terrarium, you can't just use it straight out the tap because chlorine in the water hurts them. I usually use boiled tap water, but it takes for ever to cool down and I'm left with bowls, pots and pans out all over the house. So I was wondering if I could use 'still table water'. I saw it in sainsburys for 18p for 2l. I don't know what it is, is it like mineral water? Is it safe for fish and frogs?

Regards,
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 3:34pm
There is an article here where they are not keen on using bottled water. As said it's not regulated so who knows what is done to it before it reaches the supermarket.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/aquarium-water.php

Adult amphibians are a lot more tolerant generally than tadpoles. I've always just filled a bowl with tap water and left it for two or three days and used it with no problems. Or buy a chemical dechlorinator from a pet shop as recommended in the article.

Edited by GemmaJF
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 3:47pm
hi arataon,

dont buy mineral water - save your ú!!
i can think of 3 possible options for you. perhaps other members can suggest further ones.

1. ive read tap water is rendered safe if exposed to the air and left for a week before use. though im no chemist so i dont profess to know the reason why this is so.

2. if youve got a garden or a balcony you could collect rain water in a butt or other receptacle and use that.

3. you can buy dilutable products from garden centres that render tap water immediately safe for fish and all pond life. they are very cheap and you just mix it in a bucket. i havent used the stuff since i built my pond but if i remember correctly a company called INTERPET markets one such product called FRESH START. its really easy to use. ask for advice at your nearest outlet.

hope this helps,

ben

Edited by ben rigsby
arataon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arataon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 5:04pm
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advise, I have got a water butt in my garden, so I'll use that! I'm not keen on the dechlorinators so I tend to steer clear from them! I'll see how it goes and maybe use it again in the future.

Thanks for your help! ;-)

Cobain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic