the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Sand Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agilis along canford cliffs, Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robpilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agilis along canford cliffs, Dorset
    Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 8:36pm
Hi all,

This afternoon I wandered along canford cliffs looking for Podarcis muralis, but didnt see many due to cold wind and intermittent sun. What I did see rather unexpectedly was 10+ adult L agilis in the space of about 200 metres, a very nice sight to see as I thought the muralis presence has hit them hard.

Rob
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 10:45pm
Good news, Rob - thanks for posting.  I'll try to see if I can find any along the Boscombe side of Bournemouth - last one I saw there was 2005!
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2013 at 7:00am
Hi Rob nice to hear that you see some LA sightings in the Canford cliff area the human population over the last 50 years has had a drastic habitation affect within the area. keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
robpilley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robpilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 3:20pm
No problem, they were along the edge of the promenade where the sand hits the Tarmac. No sign of any muralis there, they were all further up the cliff face along the edges of chine and cliff top.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 7:58pm
well I was going to look for sand lizards just west of Boscombe but didn't have time - however, I did manage half an hour at Rob's place, ie the foot of Canford Cliffs.  In spite of warm and sunny weather - 22degC plus - I saw 10 sand lizards in a 100m stretch of dune/heather at the foot of the cliffs.  I was really pleased to see a hatchling sandie, too, in spite of wall lizards also being present in the same habitat - worth a study, perhaps, to see if wall lizards are genuinely impacting on the sand lizards or whether it's a question of the habitat in other parts of Bournemouth being better for wall lizard than sand lizard?  anyway, some photos below.  Will post an update on some other Dorset wall lizard populations separately in the next few days.

female sand lizard at Canford Cliffs

male sand lizard at Canford Cliffs

hatchling sand lizard at Canford Cliffs

male wall lizard at Canford Cliffs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic