the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adders 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JStroud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adders 2010
    Posted: 27 Feb 2010 at 2:33pm
Hi!

I have been a long time follower and reader, but unfortunately have never posted much on this forum! Hello to the few of you that I know already on here!

I thought I would make a quick thread to note down when everyone first starts observing snakes in their area this year. I read on the pinned thread that someone noted one in Dorset on 13 Feb.

We had our first successful trip this morning, a rare day of sunshine let us go and have a look at a known hibernation site in an area of upland heath in North Yorkshire. It has been particularly fruitful in recent years, however we nearly always began to visit a little later than this, almost certainly in March.

We managed to observe 22 snakes, ranging from yearlings to adult males (the largest of which was confirmed at over 55cm). All were spotted basking individually, with the exception of one group of 4 and one of 5. Air temperature was not measured but was guessed at between 4-6C, however there was continuing brief spells of good sunshine.

Unfortunately we only managed to get one photo (of the first male - thinking it may be the only one we see!!) before the battery died! But when they are uploaded and passed on to me I will attach them to this thread.

Good luck everyone, the snakes have even woken up up North so they must already be awake and partying down south!!

Edit: Photo now included!

Edited by JStroud
Regards, James Stroud
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 11:52am
Nice one,welcome to the site(as a poster).Still havent had chance to have a look this year,was hoping for today but not the conditions needed so far.Glad to see someones having some luck.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 1:09pm
Fantastic start to the year - well done.  Must be a tough lot, those N Yorks adders - nromally I don't think of looking for soft southern adders til it's at least 8-9 Deg C.  Perhaps the cold weather forces adders (especially males) to take advantage of any sunny weather, even if it's a few degrees below the preferred minimum temperature for emergence.
Cheers
Will
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 3:07pm

Well if it isn`t the Stroudster!

Good to see you here James, and good work with the adder spotting.  Sounds like you have found a significant post hibernation aggregation.

BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
JStroud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JStroud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 5:59pm
Thank you very much for the welcome!

Hi Peter, no surprise seeing you here mate! Thanks for the welcome! The site is really good, and incredibly rich in adders. When the females begin to emerge I think along the crevice bank stretch, possibly 3-400m, if it was searched completely by a team of people (as oppose to just two of us!) I would not be surprised at all if there is up to 100 snakes there. Will be heading back when and if I can!
Regards, James Stroud
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 6:42pm
James
You were obviously lucky with the weather this weekend, here in the Peak District we are still stuck with cold dull weather, hill fog and snow on the high ground. So far this year the only herps around have been the dozens of dead frogs floating in the ponds whenever the ice has thawed enough.

Over the past few years we have had adders out in the first week of February with a bit of sun and air temperatures of only 4 degrees. Hoping we will get some suitable weather in the next week or so.

Southern softies - better not leave a comment

Edited by Chris Monk
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

JStroud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JStroud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:35pm

We were lucky with the weather again today, I managed to return to the same site and spot 17 males, but I surveyed a much smaller area and I was on my own!

There was still a good thick layer of frost on the opposite north facing banks, and we are still experience night temperatures dropping comfortably below freezing.

Here are a few photos:

Regards, James Stroud
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:37pm

Well, from the first one from Stroud to the first one from Stroud.Here is the first Adder of the year from a location in Stroud.

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 10:59pm
One of our surveyors got out on site this lunchtime and found one hardy male out at one site but none showing at the other sites he looked at. Unfortunately the sunny start to the day didn't last with quite a bit of cloud building up over the high ground and a few showers around in the afternoon.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 7:31pm
Great pics everyone.    I managed to sneak out for a brief period today and spotted two males in South Wales at 12.30 to 1ish.
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic