the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adder?
    Posted: 28 May 2014 at 4:41pm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/118625462@N04/13972417447/

This is posted on Flickr as an adder. Is it? I can't see the eye properly. It looks more like a melanistic grass snake to me.
Suz
Tom Omlette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:17pm
adder
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 6:17pm
Thanks. I thought the eye looked a bit red. Can you tell me how you knew it was an adder please? What features?
Suz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:17pm
well red eye was certainly one pointer. the white supralabial scales (i think) also. and the general shape of the head and position of the eyes (further forward). 

you watch one of the experts come in now and say its a grassy lol!!!

tom
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:36pm
Thanks Tom. I thought the eyes looked red but when I blew the photo up it just blurred! I thought it looked rather slim for an adder (although no scale to show how long) BUT I'm no expert and I am interested. I don't think I'd have any trouble in the field with this, but a photo is different. 
Suz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Omlette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 9:16pm
yeah a blurry pic of an all black snake could be anything!!!

i think you can just about make out a vertical slit pupil as well if you blow it up but difficult to make out for sure. 
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 9:28pm
Thanks Tom. I was trying to focus on the eye (without much success!).
Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic