the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

adder skin needed for molecular analysis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magdawu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adder skin needed for molecular analysis
    Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:35am
Dear All,

I am writing to you to ask if you maybe have a piece of dead adder skin found on the road or elsewhere. I am doing bioinformatic analysis of potential antimicrobial peptides in newly released Vipera berus DNA sequences - this is my MSc project. However, because I found some potential peptide sequences, I would like to try to extract it from adder's DNA and test it for its antimicrobial properties. I need just a small piece, up to several sq cm.

I would appreciate your help!

Magda
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 8:57am
just to clarify - you need actual dead adder fragment rather than sloughed skin?
magdawu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magdawu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 1:50pm
Hi Will! Thank you for your reply! It actually can be both, sloughed skin should have enough DNA for the analysis I need. Do you have one?
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 4:33pm
I'll have a look - just confirming that sloughs were OK.  I saw lots earlier in the season when the males were shedding, but I may be able to find some at my sites.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 5:45pm
Hi Magda, I think ARC have a stock pile of shed reptile skins. Drop them an e-mail.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 6:57pm
that's a very good point - when we were turning tins for smooth snakes a couple of weeks ago Ben Limburn from ARC was assiduously collecting any fragments of slowworm and smooth snake sloughs, and I guess they would do the same for adder sloughs as well!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic