the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Pics 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adder Pics 2008
    Posted: 09 Jan 2008 at 4:27am
Just getting excited, thought i'd get this thread ready in preperation.
Only one month to go !

Edited by Alan Hyde
O-> O+>
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2008 at 11:45am

On the starting blocks?!

I've just had a look in my pond as some people seem to start getting frogs and spawn in January. Nothing stirring here though.

Suz
Dan Kane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Kane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2008 at 12:09pm

Unreal, I'll be able to post pics in this years Adder Pics thread!!

Will find adders hopefully during the school's Easter Holidays, and will be able to photograph them with my new S9600 I got for Christmas

I can't wait! 

Are Adders hard to photograph though, without getting close? All the other snakes I've photographed I've caught, to avoid them dashing off somewhere, all the snakes I've seen in the wild have taken me completley by surprise, and that my previous camera had only 3Xzoom.

Dan

(!!!!!)

Dan

www.randacumbria.moonfruit.com
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2008 at 1:15pm
Dan, April will be awesome for photographing Adders, the males out mate-searching will hardly notice you if you keep reasonably still.

Last year I amused myself by watching where they were going, heading them off, and lying still; and they sometimes slide right over you on their way :P
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 2:46pm

Today was good - for this time of year.  Saw 5 Zv basking(4 adults and 1 juv), and this fella:

First one of 2008 for me.

Mark

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2008 at 3:03pm
Nice one Mark ! - Hants. side of the border?
Weather looked great today...as I watched it through my office window .
Steve Langham - Chairman    
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 5:59am

Steve- It was fairly close to where I live in Eastleigh.  It looks like its going to be a nice day today but I have other things to do.

Mark

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 10:24am
Just back from a trawl across Frensham Common...not a sausage ! - Conditions were ideal.

It might take the warmth of the day to sink into the hibernacula, so maybe better luck tomorrow, if the weather is good.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 2:58pm
This could be my first post of 2008, so a big hello to all.

I saw my first Adder of the season this afternoon at Burnham Beeches.  It was perfect weather:  not a cloud in the sky all day.  I must admit, I hadn't expected to see one so early.  I had my camera ready, but this one was just too quick to snap.  I did, however, find a slow worm under a tin and might post this when I can get it together.

Is the season really underway already?
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 3:29pm

Hello all

Looks like spring has started early.  A very bright day here in NE Hants and at noon temperature was 10 C, with no wind and 80% RH.  So I thought I'd visit my local adder site, just in case (in the last two years haven't seen Adders before March).  Signs on the way there were good - a Brimstone butterfly was on the wing and it was too warm for a fleece (both previous indicators for me that the first snakes of the year might be about).  Anyway to cut a long story short ... I found my first Adder of the year, in a known spring basking spot.  In fact I thought I recognised it and examination of the head scale pattern from the photo confirmed it was an individual I'd seen in exactly the same spot in both 2006 and 2007.  As a bonus, a few meters away was a Slow Worm coiled up in the open - I'll post that on a new thread.  Also seen today, apart from the Brimstone, were two Red Admirals and a Peacock butterfly on the wing.  I checked out the local Grass Snake site as well, but nothing stirring there.

Happy herping

Peter Vaughan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic