the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A snake ID challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 9:15pm

Having looked at the original photo there is no way this is a grass snake

It's an adder

Sorry about that!
Must have been away with the fairies last night with all this late night working.

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 11:02pm
Thanks everyone.

I would be interested to hear from Rob V
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 2:37pm
It's got to be an Adder, the body looks flattened out to me, which is something the other two natives cannot do. Also the scales appear keeled which would rule out Smooth Snake (hard to see this closely though)
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 9:52pm
Noodles

It's an adder for sure.

I was bleary-eyed when i first looked at the photo. Too many late nightsWink

But not easy to zoom into the photo unless you have the original. Ask for the original one as I don't know how to forward you a copy, and you'll see what i mean it is an adder.

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:23am
Its an Adder in a new location in Epping Forest one where I have not recorded adder before which is really good news.....
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 11:55am
Sounds like they will need to go manage this area Jon, can't see them allowing all four species to live in peace at EF...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 9:57pm

That is good news

This is good news too:
We have been approached by a nature reserve for some ecological survey work prior to habitat management work.

This is defo an improvement and our Reptile Ecologist will be making sure that reptiles are taken into account prior to any ground/habitat management work. If only all reserves would do the same, our native wildlife willl have a much safer place to live, breed and hibernate.

Glad to see that somebody on a nature reserve is at last taking note of what we have been saying for far too long.

For obvious reasons, we can't give out details just yet but no doubt we will do in due course but impressed with the nature reserve's approach.

Senior Ecologist, SE

GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2012 at 10:15pm
We also had our first request to M&G Ecology for this sort of work recently.

I waved all fees in a gesture of goodwill, as I felt the money could be better spent on habitat enhancement at the reserve, this was after they agreed to my at cost estimate. I'm glad to say the survey work provided some nice surprises and there has already been some very herp friendly management at the site.

I just wish more organisations would ask for the help in this way rather than ignoring the issue as 'too hard' to get their heads around which sadly seems to have been the attitude over and over again. Still perhaps the message is getting through finally to some at least. I think it only fair that consultancies price fairly considering the whole experience should be a lot more pleasant than dealing with the average developer. 

Still sadly I have to report  a certain Essex nature conservation organisation still regard themselves as 'experts' who do not need outside help. I recently visited a site with a reptile survey in progress by this 'nature conservation organisation'. Roofing felts laid out on rabbit grazed areas, whilst totally ignoring adjacent optimal habitat. Lets just hope more of them wake up to the fact they need people who know what they are doing, rather than trying to be experts in everything who demonstrably do not have any idea at all when it comes to native herpetofauna. (Notably this same organisation also takes on commercial herp consultancy work, quite shocking in my opinion considering the very low level of expertise available to them)

Still the news about recent goings on at EF seemed to stop. Are they listening still I wonder, or just sitting back glad they got away with it again.

Edited by GemmaJF - 29 Aug 2012 at 10:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 12:35am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

We also had our first request to M&G Ecology for this sort of work recently.

I waved all fees in a gesture of goodwill, as I felt the money could be better spent on habitat enhancement at the reserve, this was after they agreed to my at cost estimate. I'm glad to say the survey work provided some nice surprises and there has already been some very herp friendly management at the site.

I just wish more organisations would ask for the help in this way rather than ignoring the issue as 'too hard' to get their heads around which sadly seems to have been the attitude over and over again. Still perhaps the message is getting through finally to some at least. I think it only fair that consultancies price fairly considering the whole experience should be a lot more pleasant than dealing with the average developer. 

Still sadly I have to report  a certain Essex nature conservation organisation still regard themselves as 'experts' who do not need outside help. I recently visited a site with a reptile survey in progress by this 'nature conservation organisation'. Roofing felts laid out on rabbit grazed areas, whilst totally ignoring adjacent optimal habitat. Lets just hope more of them wake up to the fact they need people who know what they are doing, rather than trying to be experts in everything who demonstrably do not have any idea at all when it comes to native herpetofauna. (Notably this same organisation also takes on commercial herp consultancy work, quite shocking in my opinion considering the very low level of expertise available to them)

Still the news about recent goings on at EF seemed to stop. Are they listening still I wonder, or just sitting back glad they got away with it again.

Apologies for the rather slow reply of mine (and late one too SmileWink).

You have raised some very good points there Gemma. I agree that this is good news  but I was shocked by your description  of the reptile survey in the rabbit grazed areas. This didn't come as a surprise though which is really depressing and if I can so, sad.

I will make sure that the fees for this reptile survey are fair too, although i am quite excited about this project. This little project will also involve some hands-on habitat work which will be great to be involved with.

What concerns me though is that they have asked for quotes now, and the first round of habitat work will be done in the winter months so i only hope that they will take on board that surveys need to be done prior to any habitat work. For example, it will take about 6 weeks to complete a survey (that's with the bedding down of the reptile tins for 2 weeks and 1 month for the survey included), so it might a little tight for this year.

I was a bit surprised when i first read the tender description because i was expecting this to be a development.  I don't know if they are listening to what is being said but the bottom line is that it is a step in the right direction.

Need to get to bed now as sunny weather on Friday - perfect (yippee) SmileSmileSmile

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist

Edited by sussexecology - 31 Aug 2012 at 12:47am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2012 at 12:53am

Madfossa,

I forgot to say.......great pictureSmile

It's a challenge for me to get a decent picture of a grass snake as i have noticed recently that i am getting rather slow with pushing that all important button on the top of the camera in my old ageSmile.

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic