the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A snake ID challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A snake ID challenge
    Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:28pm
 Hi folks,

Not been on for awhile, i saw this today....any ideas please
If you want the orig photo email me madfossa@gmail.com

thanks 
Ian

sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:42pm

Grass snakeSmile

No zigzag pattern on back.

Regards
SE Reptile Ecologist
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:52pm
Thanks for that, interesting.
I saw grass snakes there as well and all were the usual olive green, this was very dark,(i know you can get melanistic ones) about 15-20inches, quite squat, no yellow collar. I have seen this one twice and a larger similar coloured one.

I'm not saying it isnt a grass snake, but i have seen plenty of them and this didnt have the usual demeanour.... my original thought when i saw its whole shape was an adder...i've also seen adders there too

Edited by Madfossa - 22 Aug 2012 at 11:54pm
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 12:01am

Thanks madfossa

Could you email the whole pic to me. My eyes are so tired at the mo as working late tonight but  seeing the whole pic would be nice too. Thanks.

Funnily enough, the colour does look green online which is why i thought it was grassie, but i have seen some even darker grassies (as they had the yellow collar).

Can't see a zigzag but will have another look when i get some time.

Got to get some more work done so until next time then...

Regards
SE rEPTILE ecologist

Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 12:09am
Sent to your "info" email

Ian
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 7:29am
Looks like a gravid ca to me keith

Edited by AGILIS - 23 Aug 2012 at 7:30am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 11:19am
I have seen the occasional adder with the zig-zag completely broken up which produces a similar pattern. 

But I can also see why Keith would think smooth snake. If location rules out smooth snake I would say it is an adder. It looks from the picture that the blotches are slightly misaligned, if you play join the dots you end up with a typical adder zig-zag?

It really doesn't look like a grass snake to me though. But then again I remember well Tony posting up a grassy with a 'proper' adder zig-zag a few years back!

A head shot would of course solve the problem!

Edited by GemmaJF - 23 Aug 2012 at 11:20am
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 11:59am
thanks, 

i'll try and get that headshot, general consensus seems to be adder on the arg facebook group and twitter.
The markings threw me.
Four species of reptile in this one location in EF, it the 1st time this year i have recorded them :)

Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 12:11pm
The shape of the scales looks more Adder than Grass Snake to me. They don't seem to have the longer, sharper oval shape of a grass Snake's.

Richard
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 12:18pm
I agree Richard, and if the location is EF - it's an adder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic