the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Lizard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

17th October Sufolk Gt Cornard roadside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 5:38pm
LOL
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 6:38pm

is a compost BIN better than a compost HEAP for Slow Worms? and which TYPE is best?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:06pm
I guess Ben that both are OK for slow worms. I have four dalek type composters and if you open the little door at the base in spring/summer there is always a few there. I've never seen them near the top but a friend has them in her daleks and they are always lying on the top, on the fresh veg peelings etc.
I get the most in my compost heaps. Probably said but I have three - a wooden slatted one, concrete ex-coal bunker and corrugated tin with metal corner posts one. These three are covered in black plastic so they like to bask under that.
My daleks tend to have rather compacted contents as they fill up, even though I mix all sorts in, and I think that is why the slowies are only at the base as they don't want to try getting through the mix to get to the top. The contents of the heaps never get so compacted so plenty of wriggle room.
I think it's probably a bit like the adverts that say 'given a preference...' and mine are probably spoilt rotten for choice. Less choice and they'd all be in the base of the daleks.
Suz
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 9:16pm
Any chance of some pictures of the bins Suzy? We have an open compost heap which grass snakes use but though slow-worm are about locally we really never get them in numbers. I was thinking after seeing your recent pictures perhaps setting up a different system would make all the difference.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:37pm
Photos soon...
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 5:25pm
really appreciate the info/thoughts Suz!   

ive surveyed a couple of allotments recently and the "Daleks" therein had Slow Worms. the animals were right at the top of the (full) bins, entwined among the sticks and twigs.
since these objects are solid and reach right down to the ground with weight, i suppose the animals must detect the heat source, with mucho resolve burrow underneath the plastic to gain entry, and then make their way up through the mulch?
given that they find warmth, food, refuge and partners in such receptacles then, (metallic voice) "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" seems both inappropriate and unlikely!
rather, is there any need for them to ever leave this Slow Worm 'Shangri-La'???

not wishing to prod you but like Gemma, im really looking forward to seeing further pix with a view to an 'update' of my garden planning!

thanks, Ben

Edited by ben rigsby - 11 Oct 2012 at 5:26pm
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 7:57pm
Sorry guys for the photo delays. When I've actually been home it has been the monsoon season. Perhaps tomorrow...
Suz
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 6:49am
I would like to know how the sloworms lift the bin lids off to get in keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 10:51am
Well Keith it's like a lot of things e.g. eels moving overland - it happens at night - so we don't see it. Although slow worms are legless lizards, at night their hidden legs emerge and a team of them are able to prise the lids off. The twist off lids are no problem either. To get up to the lids from the base of the daleks they attach suckers to their legs. I believe there is a youtube vid of all this Wink
Slow worms have been seen slithering in underneath the bases, but that is just for wuzzies.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 4:16pm
hey Keith, how come you didnt notice the crocodile in your first pic?
it faces to our right immediately above the viv. you can clearly see its eye, neck and the upper reaches of its snout.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic