Print Page | Close Window

Herpetofauna Workers' Meeting 2012

Printed From: Reptiles and Amphibians of the UK
Category: ARG UK - Amphibian & Reptile Groups of the UK
Forum Name: HWM
Forum Description: Herp workers's meeting discussion - post ideas, suggestions, reviews
URL: http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3902
Printed Date: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:09am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Herpetofauna Workers' Meeting 2012
Posted By: herpetologic2
Subject: Herpetofauna Workers' Meeting 2012
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:16pm
Just had word that preparations for the HWM 2012 are being finalised for the end of Jan 2012. What would you like to see at the HWM?

One thing the evening quiz is coming back - 'Have I got Newts for You!'

Its gonna be great!

J


-------------
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://recordpool.org.uk" rel="nofollow - http://arguk.org/recording



Replies:
Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 9:52pm
Workshop on the new reptile mitigation guidelines? Preferably with someone from NE in the right department to listen to the input?


Posted By: Matt Smith
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Workshop on the new reptile mitigation guidelines? Preferably with someone from NE in the right department to listen to the input?


How about a workshop on the new reptile mitigations guidelines with someone from NE to listen to the input where we are allowed to discuss all of the mitigation guidelines. I did go to the last HWM workshop on the draft proposals with a downloaded, marked up copy of the then current draft highlighting a few points which I considered of particular importance, only to be told "Oh - we are only looking at this bit in this workshop, the bits you want to talk about are being done in a later one".

Make it a nice long 1.5 hr session so we can have a 10 min presentation from NE showing us the science behind these minimum capture effort tables and 500-1000 mats per hectare requirements come from. Then we can discuss them.

-------------
Independent Consultant Ecologist ¦ Berkshire County Herp Recorder


Posted By: Iowarth
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:36am

Hi everyone

Well, I am just getting ready to head for Telford for the HWM.

It would be good if any of you would like to introduce yourselves. I'm easy to identify:-

  • Length: o.a. 178cms (tailless)
  • Scalation: None apart from blonde whispy hairlike structures on head
  • Colouration: Chicken skin white but prone to flushes
  • Habitat: Anywhere warm, dry and quiet
  • Behaviour: Capable of socialising (just) but largely solitary. Can be found sitting in corners or outdoors surrounded by clouds of smoke. Walks with a limp (limp what you may ask) and occasionally carries stick for hitting people with.
  • General: Only known living being whose profile is an exact match for Mr Punch.

Looking forward to seeing some of you

Chris



-------------
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)


Posted By: sussexecology
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi everyone

Well, I am just getting ready to head for Telford for the HWM.

It would be good if any of you would like to introduce yourselves. I'm easy to identify:-

  • Length: o.a. 178cms (tailless)
  • Scalation: None apart from blonde whispy hairlike structures on head
  • Colouration: Chicken skin white but prone to flushes
  • Habitat: Anywhere warm, dry and quiet
  • Behaviour: Capable of socialising (just) but largely solitary. Can be found sitting in corners or outdoors surrounded by clouds of smoke. Walks with a limp (limp what you may ask) and occasionally carries stick for hitting people with.
  • General: Only known living being whose profile is an exact match for Mr Punch.

Looking forward to seeing some of you

Chris

 
Hi Chris
 
Ta for that.
 
Would have been nice to have met you and put a face to a name, but sadly I'm not going as badly need a weekend off.  Should make the effort really to attend but work just gets in the way. Maybe next year.
 
Have fun and def a good excuse for a party. Smile
 
Bye for now from all of us here
 
 


Posted By: GemmaJF
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:48pm
Look on the bright side we have an all year Herp workers meeting on the forum!

My excuse for not going is that my son needs a 250 mile taxi service to Silverstone at the weekend. 

Made me think though, can someone represent RAUK at the meeting and perhaps we could have some of the stuff covered posted up for those who cannot attend? 

I think it would serve the purpose well if we could have the input of some of the workshops posted up so we can all see it and also the discussions can continue here?


Posted By: sussexecology
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi everyone

Well, I am just getting ready to head for Telford for the HWM.

It would be good if any of you would like to introduce yourselves. I'm easy to identify:-

  • Length: o.a. 178cms (tailless)
  • Scalation: None apart from blonde whispy hairlike structures on head
  • Colouration: Chicken skin white but prone to flushes
  • Habitat: Anywhere warm, dry and quiet
  • Behaviour: Capable of socialising (just) but largely solitary. Can be found sitting in corners or outdoors surrounded by clouds of smoke. Walks with a limp (limp what you may ask) and occasionally carries stick for hitting people with.
  • General: Only known living being whose profile is an exact match for Mr Punch.

Looking forward to seeing some of you

Chris

 
 
Enjoy the conference
 


Posted By: sussexecology
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Look on the bright side we have an all year Herp workers meeting on the forum!

My excuse for not going is that my son needs a 250 mile taxi service to Silverstone at the weekend. 

Made me think though, can someone represent RAUK at the meeting and perhaps we could have some of the stuff covered posted up for those who cannot attend? 

I think it would serve the purpose well if we could have the input of some of the workshops posted up so we can all see it and also the discussions can continue here?
 
That's so true Smile
 
At least we have this place to share ideas and discuss the herp world. Is a good place to discuss reptile mitigation too (as enjoyed that and has given us some ideas too).
 
Would love some feedback from the meeting.  Very good idea.
 
have a nice weekend Gemma, and hope that the 250 mile drive isn't too bad.
 
bye for now.
 
 


Posted By: sussexecology
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:45pm

So how was the herp workers meeting then?




Posted By: Iowarth
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 11:23pm

There is a faitly comprehensive report at http://www.arc-trust.org/events/HWM.php - http://www.arc-trust.org/events/HWM.php and/or http:// http://www.arguk.org/news/Page-5 - www.arguk.org/news/Page-5

Chris




-------------
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.06 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2016 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.co.uk