the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First frog spawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauljc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First frog spawn
    Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 11:09am
Hi, i came in yesterday and into my garden then i heard a rare sound... a frog croaking, i inspected the pond and 2 clumps of frogspawn were in! 17th March

This mroning another 2 clumps arrived! 18th March

I got some briliant photos of the frog croaking, close up's, how can i upload them?

by the way... From Northumberland

Edited by pauljc
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2005 at 11:22am

Hey that is great news we are still watching and waiting for our first frog spawn in our new pond, details of how to place pictures on the forum are at:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum_faq.htm

peastick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peastick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 11:47am

Hi all, here in north Lincolnshire the frogs have been very active for several weeks. I have counted 22 frogs in my modest pond and I know there are others hidden from view. I guess there are at least 36. To date 10 clumps of spawn that is swelling up nicely. There is more to come too, judging by the 'embraced' couples. They are even into threesomes!.

It is with regret that I found one dead frog, I assume the amorous males drowned her. It is the first fatality in 6years of having spawning activity, that I am aware of.

My local park has seen a great influx of frogs though the pond area is not a good habitat for them. It is ornamental according to the council. No weed growth for the taddies and too open. Allowing local youngsters to collect frogs by the dozen. I know I could collect 50 or more in the space of half an hour. Several years ago I transferred spawn to the park pond and that resulted in it teeming with froglets, this year I am taking spawn out. It was extremely unpleasant to witness the local youths behaviour to our amphibians. Trying to educate them does little good and draws attention, relocation to the allotments is the order of the day.

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2005 at 11:52am

We finally got our first male common frog this season last night in our new pond in Essex. We have had lots of smooth newt activity since January, best newt count was also last night with 4 males, 5 females.

I'm not sure if it was the weather here in Essex or the fact the pond was only built last year that has caused the late appearance of frogs, now fingers crossed for some females and mating activity :0)

pauljc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauljc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2005 at 2:59pm

Fred number 324 :)

Fred number 324 with the future 5000 freds.. still to be named! - Overall pond, 5ft by 3ft, 3ft deep, quite small, some rocks have fallen off edge into pond during winter.. still to be picked out.

Mid croak!

Turned around, not croaking

Cheeky croak ? :)

by the way, i have now taken to removing the spawn from the pond as i discovered that snails eat it ?? ? ?, i removed some as the year before it had dispeared, there were some snails in and they did eat it.
However now it is snail free and last year was successful ly hatched and returned to pond.
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2005 at 5:26pm
Wait a few months untill the taddys are a good size and they will eat the snails !, they love them.

We are still waiting for spawn, the frogs turned up in 1st week of February and immediatly started croaking and paired off, then weather turned colder and that put a stop to them. In the last few days they have started croaking again, but no spawn yet.
Our local pond has literally hundreds of pairs and about 5/6 suqare meters of spawn, all in the warm weather over last weekend.

Edited by Mike
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
pauljc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauljc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 11:34am
yeh, if you break the snails shell and and throw it in the tadpoles go crazy! :), anyway, i probally wont be able to reply to this thread for about 2 weeks, as i wont have access to the internet.

btw - like the pics? :)
evilmike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evilmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 4:45pm

snails are a very important part of the foodchain, and help remove the dead material or it will build up and no doubt pollute the pond, also snails will be eaten by many organisms.

dry dog biscuits are useful to feed tadpoles, they feed around it and all push it about on surface, but a good pond will contain plenty of food for the developing tadpoles

the snails would most likely been feedin on algae upon the spawn or the jelly itself, theres plenty to go round :)

Mike Lister BSc hons Ecology & Env management
pauljc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pauljc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2005 at 8:13pm
true but theye WERE eating the frogspawn and even the live tadpoles.... anyway, i've noticed ramshorn dont do any damage, but great pond snails do
Mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2005 at 9:48am
In my instance I was referring to the common garden snail varieties. We have (or used to have) quite a lot of these but now we have Hedgehogs in the garden they keep them under control. We used to chuck them straight into the pond without crushing (they float) the taddys go crazy for them.

We also have several varieties of pond snail, Ramshorns included, all coexist with the taddys and the newts quite well.
Britains smallest Country Park ? - Brickfields Country Park
Soemtron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic