the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

still looking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: still looking
    Posted: 22 Jul 2004 at 10:31am

im still trying to locate adders in my area but just cant find any ive been looking between 08:00 to 09:30 in the morning, ive just been given exess to a private fishing lake to look, there is a place where some fishermen call adder alley but i still cant find any adders can anyone help me to locate them or are they like rocking horse poo in my area or am i doing something wrong.

many thanks paul

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2004 at 1:46pm

Hi Paul,

I spent yesterday morning walking miles of coastal barriers where I'm told there are plenty of adder and recorded only viviparous lizards - I suspect I won't see any adder at all until the spring at this site.

Though in the afternoon at another site I spotted a bank with southwest aspect. Whilst considering that it 'looked good', I recorded 3 females lying out. Other small groups of females were also found dispersed across the site.

Remember that adder are extremely alert at this time of year, you really have to move around as quietly as possible.

Go for features such as sunny banks with a southeast to southwest facing aspect. Patches of brambles are also a good bet on the sunny side, as are mounds of dry bracken.

Now we are in July go for overcast days with very little sun, this will force the snakes to bask for longer. When the sun breaks after a shower in this kind of weather snakes will be much easier to detect.

I recorded adder yesterday between 1406 and 1612 GMT

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2004 at 11:48pm

hi gemma is 08:00 to 09:30 to late in the morning, or do i have to go at first light, the sun was out at 07:00 but i didnt get there till 08:00. how long dose an adder take to warm up before thy move off, what if its a chilly morning and dosent warm up till the afternoon 

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 4:39pm

Hi Paul,

I'm going to have to say it all depends! The weather can make a huge difference though I can think of 2 sites where I see adder all day on all but the hottest days visually (all gravid females) at this time of year. I'm usually happy to arrive at most sites at around 8:30 GMT (9:30 BST) so I don't think you are starting too late.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic