the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Terrapin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrapin
    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 11:29am
Hi all

They keep turning up don't they?
Wonder if there will be any successful egg incubation this year given the weather (and assuming the warm spell continues)? Think i read somewhere it's nearly happened in the UK previously?

Yellow-bellied Slider Trachemys scripta scripta photographed a week ago, disused gravel pit, South Cerney, Glos.

Cheers
Ben
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:09pm
we see quite a few of these along the canal in hythe in kent, there are also quite a few reports of those large african land snails, this has happened ver a number of years but i guess they have long lives so will be here for a fair bit.
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 1:49pm
Yes, animals that hibernate tend to have longevity, although they can disappear. Locally, terrapins have been lost owing to canal dredging and i've noticed they've gone from certain fishing lakes too. Anglers sometimes catch them and some of them view terrapins as an unwelcome nuisance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic