the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hedgehogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:40pm
This is quite interesting,  I could have easily accepted the 'degraded' habitat argument.  I think though PondDragon may have a fair point.

This is obviously anecdotal, but compare our situation in Essex.

We have badgers around for sure, I see the occasional road kill.

We have half a dozens hogs or more frequent the garden.

I have never seen a badger anywhere near the house or garden. Foxes come in, but never badgers.

We are in rural Essex, so are surrounded by acres and acres of arable farmland. It may well be the badgers feel no need at all to come close to us nasty humans. The hogs though benefit it seems from the log and brash piles I have in the wildlife garden and can be observed most nights foraging around.

I have never provided food for our hogs, they seem to thrive on what is naturally available to them here.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:46am
sadly the traffic has been instrumental in the decline of hedgehogs along with gardens in towns being concreted over for parking and patios
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 5:32pm
That is becoming a trend out here too Keith. More and more people are hard paving front gardens for parking and making rear gardens low maintenance with patios. 

Unfortunately we feel a bit obliged to do it as well, it is kind of expected to keep the value of the property. We can always compensate though by providing the wildlife garden as an area of suitable habitat. Just wish more people would seek the balance and at least consider wildlife, our gardens are practically all hogs and many other species have in the way of suitable habitat now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic