the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One of my garden snakes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One of my garden snakes
    Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 3:52pm
This lovely young female hunting around the pond today. Had to catch her for photo. We see quite a few but usually brief glimpses. But it is lovely to see them.

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 1:25pm
Saw my first garden grassie  of this year at noon today. It was under one of my Coroline covers near to the compost bins. I have been trying to make the garden more snake friendly over the past few years and the compost bin the grass snakes went in last year (corrugated iron sides) has been filled with green garden rubbish in the hopes of it being attractive for egg-laying.

Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 3:26pm
fingers crossed Suzy!Smile
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 5:32pm
lucky things!!! Smile

tim
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 6:45pm
...just what I was thinking, Tim.  There's not much chance of grass snakes in my garden, although I did find this one about half a mile away at a common lizard site which I have been monitoring for the last twelve years and never seen a grassy there before (no idea how it could have go there - it's nowhere near any waterbodies!) so maybe there's hope after all..

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2013 at 11:46pm
Will, two years ago my brother and I saw a grass snake on a small heath that we've known for 40 years. Never seen one there before and wouldn't expect to as there is no water anywhere nearby. It was on the summit of flat topped hill/plateau. Nice to be surprised like that!
Suz
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 8:14am
Absolutely - hats off to an animal which can turn up like that, and which lacks wings or even legs to make these seemingly puzzling journeys! 
daveg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 4:40pm
Nice picture Will. What time of the day and temperature was the snake out and about? It must be rare to find grass snakes away from water  when day time temperatures are up to 30 deg c.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 6:05pm
Hi Dave - I saw the snake about a fortnight ago, just before the real heat started to kick in, so around 20degC at about 6pm; I should have made that clearer, sorry!
daveg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:48pm
Thanks Will, I live in North Dorset and am always on the lookout for grass snakes. Havent seen any live ones recently but know they must be around from several squashed dor examples. I think compost heaps near farms are probably the best bet otherwise we have 3 small rivers running through our town (Gillingham) that look like great habitat. Now its cooling off a bit 27 deg C at 19:45! I will go for a cycle and see what I can find.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic