the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WATERSNAKE RIVER STOUR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WATERSNAKE RIVER STOUR
    Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:48am
Well this is my first this year walking down past the widest part of the river Stour i Sudbury what do I see a grassie in midstream and only had my mobile phone sorry its a very bad shot and was bit far away ,alway the same when you havent got your super zoom camera with you ,also the temps werent that warm for snakes swimming so I was lucky seeing it. keith

Edited by AGILIS - 22 Apr 2013 at 9:06am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:55am
I like it - kinda abstract but captures the essence of swimming grassie.  One of the best completely out of focus pics I've seen,. KeithLOL
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:27am
Cheers Will
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 7:20pm
I like it too, in a way being out of focus captures more of what one sees when a grassy swims on the surface, rather than freezing it in time. 

Has anyone else has the chance to see them forage under water? There use to be a pond on Hindhead Common where I could watch them under the surface, many happy memories of days spent doing that as a kid. Amazing how long they can stay under and also how they actively forage around looking for prey.

Edited by GemmaJF - 22 Apr 2013 at 7:21pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:15am
I watched one foraging one warm spring night in a pond in Epping Forest when I was doing a GCN survey.  Seeing a snake hunting underwater at night was a decidedly un-UK experience..
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:26pm
Yep I can imagine so Will! Didn't see any swimming grass snakes today, but it was hot out today, another very un-UK like experience!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 8:26pm
I was driving slowly along by Loch Ness and suddenly saw a movement in the water. I leapt out of the car and managed to take two excellent photos that will prove once and for all that...

Cheers to KeithWink
Suz
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 4:59am
Lovely to see grass snakes in the water. 

Will I have seen one in an Epping Forest pond this year at about 1:00am, whilst carrying out an amphib survey.
 I have seen your name crop up on reptile records around Epping Forest.
I am currently collating historical data from records from various characters around EF and I also spend any free time doing visual surveys in EF. All the records go to ARG recordpool and then onto EFC
Would you be interested in contacting me for a chat about your experiences of surveys in EF. Please PM me if you are
Ian
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 9:31am
Hi Ian - pm sent, cheers Will
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic