the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIG GRASSIES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 5:28pm
Hi Will,

yes, I can see your point and thanks for giving a good example, but there's one big difference. You can influence the length by doing this, but the Dahls is still thin. In the Grassie photo the body is as thick as the guys arm!

And Caleb, why couldn't the stick be an inch and half across? It certainly looks like a pretty thick stick to me! And what hand? I can't see ahand but maybe my computer is not on the correct setting?

R
RobV
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 7:22pm
Hi Rob

I can see part of a hand directly right from the snake's head with a cream/beige shirt cuff above it.  This helps to judge the scale of the animal itself, I think. 

Cheers

Will
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

And Caleb, why couldn't the stick be an inch and half across? It certainly looks like a pretty thick stick to me!

I know it's very subjective, but I don't think a stick an inch and a half across would break like that. It looks more like a half to three-quarters of an inch to me, which would make the snake between 27 and 40 inches long. 

If the guy's hand was about three inches from knuckle to wrist (it's 65 pixels on the image), and was the same distance from the camera as the snake, that would make the snake 50 inches long. I think he's actually a little bit further away, so that would make it a little bit less.

Just my estimate, obviously no way to prove it...
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 9:55am
Photoing on the ground from above next to a measuring scale is more true as you dont get a false depth of field keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:16pm
Lads, lads, lads,

what am I going to do with you lot? Maybe you need to pop back and see you old Maths teachers and partake of a little geometry.

Let me tell you what i mean. The reason why we have total eclipse of the sun by the moon is because the sun is 400 times further from the Earth than the moon, but it happens to be exactly 400 times greater in diameter than the moon.

Now light, being light (pixels or pixies, it doesn't matter) say the guy in view is six feet in length. If the snake were just three feet in length, doubled over so that 18 inches now represents six feet, the man would have to be four times the distance from the camera than the snake / stick.

But you can see the reflection of the ventral scales in the guys trousers - it is only a matter of about 18 inches away.

Nope, sorry guys, I know you're probably gutted that you'll never find one like it, but this Grassie is about seven feet long like it or not.

R
RobV
Madfossa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madfossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 8:34am
Forced perspective photography
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:14am

say the guy in view is six feet in length. If the snake were just three feet in length, doubled over so that 18 inches now represents six feet, the man would have to be four times the distance from the camera than the snake / stick.

But you can see the reflection of the ventral scales in the guys trousers - it is only a matter of about 18 inches away.

Yes, I agree completely. The snake is about 18 inches away, the man is about six foot away- four times as far. 

Not sure what you mean by 'reflection of the ventral scales in the guys trousers' though.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 2:36pm
What I cant understand is why was it not measured to save all the guess work??
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 11:55pm
In the picture where does the snakes tail end or is it not in the shot? It sort of looks to be like the guy in the picture is holding a a twisted stick, or is that still part of the snake? I can't quite figure it out.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Caleb Caleb wrote:

say the guy in view is six feet in length. If the snake were just three feet in length, doubled over so that 18 inches now represents six feet, the man would have to be four times the distance from the camera than the snake / stick.

Yes, I agree completely. The snake is about 18 inches away, the man is about six foot away- four times as far. 

Not sure what you mean by 'reflection of the ventral scales in the guys trousers' though.

Hahaha, no way is the guy standing 4 and half feet behind the snake!!! The snake is about 18 inches from the guy behind. And if you expand the pic, you can see the light of the ventral scales in the material of the guys trousers behind.

But one things for certain in my view, we will never find a Grassie of that all round size over here in the UK
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic