the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Venomous Snake Warning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Venomous Snake Warning
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:45pm
That's the first media headline to pick up on an unwanted press release by the Health Protection Agency titled that was released this afternoon.

Country walking? Think snakes...

Poisons experts are advising people planning country and woodland walks this summer how to reduce their risk of a snake bite.

The media article states
Walkers have been warned not to touch snakes after a spate of venomous adder attacks over the past three years.

The HPA were warned that this would be the likely reaction to the press release and still they went ahead. Expect more sensational bad publicity and idiots everywhere killing any grass snake, slow-worm or adder that they come across.
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1317134275836
Nowhere does the press release mention that snakes are legally protected!
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:00pm
what with Allerthorpe and the inevitable conclusion that it's OK to kill snakes if you are / work for a conservation organisation and this press release it's certainly a bad time to be a snake...
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 5:34am
Panic shriek Panic warnings poison snakes infesting and attacking children picnickers and dog walkers thats about he best way to get the jo public to be hostile toward them.
Do you ever see "WARNINGS" that Squirrels and deer badgers and even horses will inflict nasty bites on people "NO NEVER".   I would rather be bitten by an adder then a horse. (sounds a bit like a Duke of Wellington quotation). Funny they never erect warning signs informing people to beware of wasp and bees more deaths have occurred from insect bites then from snake bites in this country, but not for long as they are also in decline due to ruined habitat.     keith

Edited by AGILIS - 24 May 2012 at 5:54am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Ginger! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:53pm
It's a bit scaremongering and could do with some rewording. 'Attacks' suggests a creature predating humans. Hmmm. Anyway Keith, isn't it time for some more pics from you??  I'm off to Thetford tomorrow for some cycling but I'll stop for a little light herping. Normally good for a couple of sightings but I'm no photographer. Hopefully I won't get 'attacked' by some huge serpent...
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:48pm
jeremy vine picked up on the the subject of adder bites today on Radio 2. It ws pretty interested as they also discussed adder sites in Wales and garden sightings.  
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:06pm
Hi Ginger got few lv and slowies the other day ,but the weather has now gone the other way to bloody hot or to cold lol perhaps I will have to do nocturnal shots hope I dont get attacked by bats.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:42pm
Can't the HPA do something useful like ban staircases? Apparently one of the largest causes of death and personal injury in the UK. It is now an established fact that nearly as many deaths occur in the home as in road accidents. Many of these deaths are due to falls, half of which involve stairs.

There you have it, a clear thing for the HPA to do.

That can keep them busy instead of wasting money scaremongering regarding wild snakes in the UK which have accounted for, lets think, eeer.....  exactly zero deaths in the past 100 years...

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 5:49am
Gemma zero deaths NE with the help of health & safety wish to eliminated any chance this sort numbers of deaths occurring in the future
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 6:36am
'Can't the HPA do something useful like ban staircases? Apparently one of the largest causes of death and personal injury in the UK.' (Gemma)

- also don't forget that the most dangerous place is a bed - you're more likely to die there than anywhere else.  Each bed should therefore come with a mandatory health warning and training course on how to use one properly ...
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:27am
I'll never sleep again Will, not only am I taking a huge risk going to bed, I have to climb a stairs to get there! I think I'll take to sleeping on heathlands where there are no staircases or beds....

....the only risk then will be being killed by a bulldozer Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic