the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

and they're off...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: and they're off...
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 6:02pm
I continue to be surprised at how quick off the blocks grassies are compared with adders - several mating pairs and a 'ball' of two males and a female today, and one female with a clear toad bulge inside being attended by a male.  Also a grassy close to an adder, catching the rays.  Photos below, Cheers

Will

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 7:39pm

first class!
your standards never slip do they Will? every 1s a bullseye.

i dunno what other members think (speak up people) but personally i like in situ shots such as these best.
if theres a bit of blur or an inconvenient vegetation stem "marring" the photo (such as here or in Gemma and Js also classy new pics) then it adds to the appeal for me.
cos i think honesty is best policy and its a huge turn off when i learn (or suspect) that a wildlife pic is of a captive animal or faked in any way (such as many a magazine inc BBC Wildlife!/the recent years Wildlife Photographer OY winning pic debacle).
imperfection is perfection to these eyes and remember this, when the electric guitar was invented (by Gibson) and first marketed (by Fender) the intention was for clarity.
how wild and exciting it became when Link Wray first applied distortion to the sound! set free like an (alleged) UK leopard (or a Wall Lizard colony) to challenge, intrigue and dazzle us with unexpected exoticism and splendour!

when reporting though (like Keith i suspect judging by his posts?)personally like to read where the sightings are from. i think taboos are unhealthy (educate and let people make informed decisions instead say i) but i respect fellow herpers wishes if they dont want to give out precise locations.
surely merely stating county region would be ok in anyones books tho eh guys n gals?

what does anyone else think?

great recent pix all!

NB i dont condone releasing alien species but (like Will/others here?)i enjoy seeing them.
if im honest!!!

cheers!
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:01pm
yes always enjoy your posts and pics will. long may they continue!

tim
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:54pm
Yes I agree with you Ben that it's pictures like these that inspire me. You feel as though you are there too at the site looking at the reptiles. Which reminds me, I really need to get out and do some more reptile spotting.

Love the one of the grassie next to the adder. Smile

Such a good time of year to be out looking for snakes.......that i think we tend to take it for granted. Well, i do anyway. Feeling very inspired now though.....Thanks for the pics and please keep them coming. Is the best part of this Forum i reckon.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 9:00pm
Great work Will, I love the grassy with adder piccy, they compliment each other so well.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 7:20am
Thanks all, much appreciated.  As usual, just a question of being in the right place at the right time.  BTW the site in question is somewhere in Greater London, my most frequent stomping ground.  Can't be more precise, due to danger of persecution - I hope it's nowhere near that guy who was killing them in his garden/cellar that Rob posted the other day... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic